GENUKI Home page up Rhostie Contents Contents

 

 

Kelly's Directory

South Wales 1895

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.


RHOSTIE (or Rhos-ddu) is a parish and village in the county of Cardigan, 7 miles south-east from Aberystwyth, 8 miles north-west from Strata Florida, and 2 south from Llanilar station, on the Manchester and Milford railway, in the hundred, of Ilar, petty sessional division of Ilar Upper, union and court district of Aberystwyth, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarnfawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.

The church of St. Michael, rebuilt in 1881-2, at a cost of 700, is an edifice of stone consisting of chancel, nave, Narthex porch and a turret containing one bell: there are 60 sittings.  The registers date from 1815. The living is a rectory, united to the vicarage of Llanilar, tithe rent-charge 199, average 147, joint net yearly value 190, with glebe (71), in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1878 by the Rev. John Thomas Griffiths B.D. of St. David's College, Lampeter, and rural dean of Llanbadarn fawr, who resides at Llanilar.

There is a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel.

The Earl of Lisburne, Crosswood, R.J.C. Loxdale esq. and G. W. Parry esq. are the principal landholders.

The soil is chalk. Chief crops are barley and oats. The area is 1,313 acres; rateable value, 537; the population in 1891 was 133.

Parish Clerk, John Davies.

Letters are delivered from Llanilar R.S.O. Cardiganshire, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office; arrive at about noon

National School (mixed), for 60 children; average attendance, 23; John Edward Roach, master

Residents

Farmers


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 29 February 2004]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

>