Strata Florida Contents
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
Is a parish and village ......... with a station (2 miles from the village) on the Great Western railway, and is 6 miles north-by-east from Tregaron and 16 south-east from Aberystwyth; it is partly in the hundred of Ilar and partly in that of Penarth, in the petty sessional division of Penarth, county court district of Lampeter and union of Tregaron, and in the rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, diocese of St David's.
The church of St Mary, which stands within the ancient cemetery of the abbey, is a plain building of stone .......it was restored in 1875, and affords 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1750. The living is a vicarage .... held since 1884 by the Rev Evan Jones of Queen's College, Birmingham.
The mission church of St David, at Pontrhydfendigaid was erected by subscription in 1900, at a cost of £1500, on a site given by the Earl of Lisburne.
There are Calvinistic Methodist and Baptist chapels.
(the large section dealing with the history of the abbey and site excavations has been omitted here)
Within the abbey and its precincts many Welsh princes and several noted bards were interred.....
The trustees of the late Earl of Lisburne, who are lords of the manor, and the trustees of the late J T Peacock, of London, are the principal landowners.
The chief crops are barley, oats and root crops and largely pasture.
The area is 24,661 acres of land and 201 of water; rateable value £2677; the population in 1901 was 498.
Pontrhydfendigaid is a village partly in this parish and partly in the parish of Gwnnws Upper.
Parish Clerk; John Jenkins
Post/MOO &T Office, Pontrhydfendigaid --- Mrs Margaret Richards, Sub-postmistress
This parish is included in Group 4 of the Tregaron Education Committee, formed October 1904
Public Elementary School, for 40 children; average attendance 24; Frederick Heald CM, master
Railway Station; Thomas M Morris, station master
Police Station, Pontrhydfendigaid; Thos Jones, constable
Farmers in Parish
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 16 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996