The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (March 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Tremaen is a parish in the county of Cardigan, 4 1/2 miles north-east from Cardigan station on the Whitland and Cardigan railway, 2 1/2 south-west from Aberporth and 6 1/2 north-west from Newcastle-in-Emlyn, in the hundred and petty sessional division of Troedyraur, Cardigan union and county court district, rural deanery of Sub-Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The river Arberth, a tributary of the Teifi, flows through the parish.
The church of St. Michael, partially rebuilt in 1810, is a plain edifice in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a turret containing one bell; the church was repaired in 1848, and affords 100 sittings. The registers of baptisms date from the year 1763; marriages, 1813. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £84, net income £70, with residence, in the gift of F. Miles esq. and held since 1862 by the Rev. David William Herbert B.A. of St. Mary Hall, Oxford, who is also vicar of Blaenporth.
There is a Congregational chapel.
The soil is light gravel. Chief crops, barley and oats, and some land under pasture. The area is 1,702 acres; rateable value, £1,109; the population in 1891 was 210.
Letters are received through Cardigan. The nearest post, money order & telegraph office is at Aberporth
This parish is included in the United School Board District of Llangoedmore, formed 6 July, 1874
Board School, for 117 children; average attendance, 70; John Daniel Price, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 29 March 2004]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996