Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Tre-main - Extract from 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' by Samuel Lewis 1833
"TREMAEN (TRE-MAEN), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of TROEDYRAUR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Cardigan, containing 241 inhabitants. This place is supposed to derive its name, signifying " the town of the stone," from the vast rude stone called Llêch yr Ast and the adjacent kistvaens, situated near the village, though within the limits of Llangoedmore parish, and, together with a large tumulus on a farm in this parish, called Canllevarvaes, supposed to commemorate a decisive battle that took place here between the Welsh and the Flemings, soon after a body of the latter had effected a landing at a place called Mount, about three miles distant, on the sea-shore. The parish is situated on the summit and declivities of a hill, called, from the stone above noticed, Llêch yr Ast,and comprises about nine hundred acres of arable and pasture land, with a small tract of marshy ground : the soil is principally light, except in the lowest part of the parish. The river Arberth runs through the parish, and, after turning four or five grist-mills, falls into the Teivy. The neighbourhood is enlivened with some gentlemen's seats, among which are, Tre Prior, the ancient occasional residence of the prior of Cardigan ; and Trêv Wttial Vawr, now the residence of Miss Vaughan. The turn-pike road from Cardigan to Aberystwith passes through the parish, and within a short distance of the church. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £1200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Philip John Miles, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was, with the exception of the chancel, rebuilt in the year 1810, and is now a long plain edifice, composed only of a nave and chancel. There is a place of worship for Methodists. In this parish there is a ford called Rhydwenwynvarch, supposed to have derived that name from the circumstance of the water having been poisoned to destroy the army of an invading enemy. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 81.12."
[Gareth Hicks: 17 December 1999]