Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (March 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.

Trefilan is a parish in the county of Cardigan, 5 1/2 miles north-west from Derry Ormond station on the Manchester and Milford railway, 7 1/2 north-by-north-west from Lampeter, and 23 south from Aberystwyth, in Ilar hundred, Lampeter union, Tregaron county court district, Upper Moyddin petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.

The church of St. Hilary, is an edifice consisting of chancel and nave, and a turret containing one bell, and was rebuilt and restored in 1880-1882, at a cost of £1,485, and affords 243 sittings. The registers date from the year 1705. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £105, average £80, gross income £130, net £113, with 47 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1892 by the Rev. Thomas Charles Edmunds B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter.

The principal landowners are Col. Lewes and Mrs. Griffiths.

The soil is heavy; subsoil, slate and gravel. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 2,214 acres; rateable value, £1,008 ; the population in 1891 was 238.

Parish Clerk, David Thomas.

Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B., Insurance & Annuity Office Talsarn (Railway Sub Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Cardiganshire added). Letters arrive at 10 a.m. & 5 p.m. ; box cleared at 1.40 p.m.

National School (mixed), for 60 children; average attendance, 37 ; William Rees, master


  • Edmunds, Rev. Thomas C.. B.A.; Rectry
  • Vaughan, Capt. Herbrt D.L.,J.P.; Brynog


  • Davies, Llewellyn, grocer
  • Davies, Sanders, grocer
  • Jones, Evan, blacksmith


  • Davies, David; Penlaufergi
  • Davies, Edward; Penlauasychd
  • Davies, William; Troedyrhiw
  • Evans, David; Hafodygorse
  • Evans, Edward; Cillwnd
  • Evans, Mary (Mrs.); Penlanlaisa
  • Hamer, David & Henry; Gwrthwyntych
  • Howells, David; Penlogan
  • Howells, John; Blannlwfallen
  • Jones, Daniel; Penlaufengi
  • Jones, David; Hafodygroes
  • Lloyd, Thomas (& assistant overseer);Talsaon shop
  • Lloyd, William; Trefilian court
  • Richards, Daniel; Tymand
  • Williams, Evan

[Gareth Hicks: 5 March 2004]