GENUKI Home page upTregaron Contents Contents

 

 

Tregaron chapels

 

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (April 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

 Other sources

 

Baptist

Argoed Baptist chapel, Argoed, Tregaron

  • Argoed Baptist chapel, Argoed             SN6783558914             Started 1718, chapel built 1760.       Sunday School founded 1810.           Not still open 1998 (demolished)   (1)
  • Argoed Baptist chapel       Bapts 1751-1857  NLW      (3)

 

Methodist

Berth Welsh CM chapel, Ty'n-yr-eithin 

  • Berth Welsh CM chapel, Ty'n-yr-eithin                  SN66336343          Started 1809, chapel built 1840, rebuilt 1877, renewed 1908.      Records;  List of Temperance Society members 1839-50  NLW           Still open 1998          (1) & (4)
  • Berth   CM                Erected in 1840            Benjamin Benjamin, Elder, Llwyngwin           1851 (2)           (Blaen-Caron township)
  • Berth, Pentalar, Tynreithin,Tregaron   CM chapel - still open in 2006

Blaen Caron CM chapel

  • Blaen Caron Welsh CM chapel (2 mls north east of Tregaron)           SN70836115          Chapel built 1875/7, renewed 1901.        Sunday School founded 1810.        Members; 42 in 1902         Still open 1998   (1) & (4)
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

Bwlchgwynt CM chapel, Tregaron

  • Bwlchgwynt Welsh CM chapel, Chapel St / Lampeter Rd, Tregaron          SN6777759628        Society in 1744, chapel built 1775, enlarged 1809, rebuilt 1833, 1865     Burial ground added in 1840        Members; 360 in 1902       Records; births and bapts 1810-37  PRO & in IGI            Still open 1998   (1) & (4)
  • Bwlchgwynt    CM               Erected in 1775           "(used exclusively as a place of worship) 'except a day school kept for a short time till a school house be erected'  "            John Rees, Minister    1851   (2        (Tre-cefel township)
  • Bwlch-gwynt CM chapel    Bapts 1810-37  PRO       (3)
  • Rev Morgan Evans               The Calvinistic Methodist chapel here will seat 800            1895  (6)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Capel Bwlchgwynt [CM], Tregaron, cofysgrifau (records) 1871-1912    "Adeiladwyd y capel cyntaf ym 1774, a'i alw ar ôl y cae y'i codwyd arno sef 'Llain Bwlch y Gwynt', ym mhlwyf Caron-is-clawdd, Sir Aberteifi. Helaethwyd yr adeilad hwn ym 1809, ond ym 1833 codwyd yr ail gapel ar y safle. Ychwanegwyd oriel at y capel hwn fel rhan o'r gwaith adnewyddu ym 1865.............."
    Records ........... comprising Collections Account Books, 1871-1912, and the Secretary's Book, 1898-1902.

 

  • Shown on contacts list on Ceredigion Library site (2007)
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

Deri-Garon CM Schoolroom, Tregaron

  • Deri-Garon CM Schoolroom, Tregaron          SN66415888          Sunday school founded & chapel built 1820?   Not still open 1998    (1)

Gors Neuadd CM chapel

  • Gors Neuadd CM schoolroom, Blaennant    [near Y Rhiw]           SN69245803          Sunday school established (& chapel built?) 1854 (1865?).         Not still open 1998   (1) & (4)

Tan-y-rallt uchaf CM Meeting, Tregaron

  • Tan-y-rallt uchaf CM Meeting, Tregaron            SN69836035      House converted to chapel.          Not still open 1998   (1)

The following information comes from the Dyfed mailing list (21 Aug 2013)

"HANES METHODISIAETH RHAN DDEHEUOL SIR ABERTEIFI  - in the entry for Tregaron states that Daniel Rowlands (Llangeitho) began preaching at, Nantylles a mile and a half north of Tregaron in 1738. It was chosen as to be most convenient to the inhabitants of Swyddfynnon and Pontrhydfendigaid. In 1742 the preaching was moved to the neighbouring farm of TANYRALLT, which could accommodate the listeners, and it was here the first "Society"  was formed. Williams Williams, Pantycelyn was the overseer and used to visit every 6 weeks. In 1744 there were about 20 members. There was never a Chapel or Meeting House, at TANRALLT. The services were held under two large oak trees, it is said.
In 1758 the Society moved their services to PENLAN, Tregaron and numbers increased until BWLCHGWYNT Chapel was built in 1774/5."

Treflyn Sunday School CM

  • Treflyn CM schoolroom           SN694628             Sunday school formed 1810. Built mid C19th           Not still open 1998 (derelict)            (1)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS

Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Tregaron

  • Tregaron Wesleyan Methodist chapel         SN6795659583         Started 1808, chapel built 1840, rebuilt 1873.        Part of Lampeter circuit from 1808       Records;  1. burials 1830-1944  NLW    2. see under Wesleyan chapel, Lampeter (circuit records)            Not still open 1998 (demolished)               (1) & (4)
  • Wesleyan Methodist chapel          Erected in 1840        No informant's signature           1851 (2)            (Blaen-Caron township)
  • Wesleyan chapel, Tregaron      Bapts 1839-1970;  Burials 1830-1944   NLW       (3)
  • Wesleyan chapel, Tregaron         1830-1970: registers of baptisms and deaths                 (National Archives- previously linked page not now there)
  • ......... the Weseyan chapel affords about 400 sittings           1895  (6)

Y Rhiw CM chapel / schoolroom

  • Ysgoldy Rhiw-Dywyll  CM  (2 mls south east of Tregaron)               SN69835894            Started 1816, chapel & schoolroom built 1866.      Records; see Bwlchgwynt         Still open 1998           (1) & (4)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS  (Rhiwdywyll schoolroom CM)
 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 21 Aug 2013]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.