The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (March 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Tregaron, with Caron
Tregaron is a market town and the head of a union, situated on the Brenig, a tributary of the Teifi, which it joins a quarter of a mile from the town, in the county of Cardigan and in the civil parish of Caron-ys-clawdd, with a station on the Manchester and Milford railway from Carmarthen to Aberystwith, 18 miles south from Aberystwith, 10 north-east from Lampeter, 15 east from Aberayron and 219 from London by road, in Penarth hundred and petty sessional division, Lampeter county court district, rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. Davids.
The river Teifi affords good salmon and trout fishing.
The parish church of St. Caron is a building of stone dating from the 14th century and consists of a chancel and nave of equal height and width and a massive embattled western tower containing one bell: the nave and chancel were entirely restored in 1878, at a cost of £1,700: there are 300 sittings: the register dates from the year 1680. The living is a vicarage, yearly tithe rent-charge £146, average £105, net income £161, with 23 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of the Bishop of St. Davids and held since 1887 by the Rev. Thomas Phillips B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter.
The Calvinistic Methodist chapel here will seat 800; the Weseyan chapel affords about 400 sittings.
The Town Hall, in the Market place, is a small building. A market is held everyTuesday, and fairs are held as follows :-The Tuesday before the first Wednesday in each month (cattle). Whit Tuesday (cattle) and March 16th and 17(horse). In the Market place stands a fine statue erected in 1893, as a memorial to the late Henry Richard esq. M.P. Merthyr Tydvil 1868-88; and at Llangeitho is a statue of the late Rev. Daniel Rowlands, a Calvinistic Methodist minister, erected in 1888.
Twm Shon Catti's Cave, in the midst of the rocks, of the mountain between Tregaron and Llandovery, 13 miles distant, is said to have been the hiding place of Tom Jones, a notorious freebooter.
Sunny Hill is the seat of Cornelius Le Brun Powell esq: and Argoed, the residence of Robert S. and Rowland John Rowlands. esqrs. The principal landowners are Cornelius Le Brun Powell esq., the Earl of Lisburne and William Inglis Jones esq. of Derry Ormond.
The soil is part peaty, and part sandy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are barley and oats, but a large portion of the land is pasture. The area of Caron-ys-clawdd is 14,148 acres; rateable value, £5,445; the population in 1891 was 1,575, including 35 officers and inmates in Tregaron workhouse.
Parish Clerk, John Philip Rees.
Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. added),--- Thomas Jones, postmaster. Letters arrive 9.20 a.m. (north mail), & 11.15 a.m. (south mail); dispatched at 3.15 & 7.15 p.m. (south mail) & 4.30 p.m. (north mail).
County Magistrates for Penarth Petty Sessional Division .
- Rogers, John Edwardes esq. Abermeurig, Talsarn R.S.O. chairman
- Jones John esq. Cylpyll, Talsarn R.S.O :
- Phillips, Rev. Thomas B.A. Vicarage,Tregaron R.S.O
- Williams, Daniel Jenkyn esq. Pencefn, Tregaron R.S.O
Clerk to the Magistrates, David Lloyd, Lampeter
Petty Sessions are held at the Town hall on the last tuesday in each month, at 11 a.m
The following places are included in the Petty Sessional division :---Bettws Leiki, Blaenpenal, Caron-ys-clawdd, Caron-uwch-clawdd, Doithie-camddwr, Doithie Pyscottwr, Gartheli, Garth & Ystrad, Gogoyan, Gorwydd, Gwynfil, Gwnnws Issa, Gwnnws Ucha, Llangeitho, Llanio, Llanbadarnodwyn, Lledrod Issa, Lledrod Ucha, Nantcwnlle, Prysk & Carfan, Yspytty Ystwyth & Ystrad Meurig
County Police Station, D. Thomas, sergeant
Board day every alternate tuesday, at the Town hall at 11 am.
The union comprises the following parishes:--- Bettws Leiki, Blaenpenal, Caron-ys-clawdd or Tregaron, Caron-uwch- clawdd or Strata Florida, Doithie-camddwr, Doithie Pysgottwr, Garth & Ystrad, Gartheli, Gogoyan, Gorwydd, Gwynfil, Lower Gwnnws, Upper Gwnnws, Llanbadarnodwyn, Llangeitho, Llanio, Lower Lledrod, Upper Lledrod, Nantcwnlle, Prysk & Carfan, Ystrad Meurig & Yspytty-Ystwyth.
The population of the union in 1891 was 8,613; area, 121,545 acres;, rateable value in 1894, £31,728.
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee; Jenkin Lloyd, Tregaron
Treasurer, Peter Williams, Brenigview
Relieving & School inquiry Officer, Thomas Morgans, Llangeitho
Collector to the Guardians; Morgan Morgans, The Workhouse
Vaccination Officers, Thomas Morgans, Llangeitho & Peter Williams, Brenigview, Tregaron
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators; Lower district, Evan Lloyd M.B., Llys Einon, Tregaron, Llanddewibrefi; Upper district; John Morgan, Pontrhydygroes
Superintendent Registrar, Edwin Oliver Jones, Tregaron; deputy, John Jenkins, Compton ho. Tregaron
Registrars of Births, Deaths & Marriages; Gwnnws sub-district, John Jenkins, Swyddffynnon, Lledrod Upper; deputy, Rev. Timothy R. Morgan, Tynlon, Lledrod Upper; Llangeitho sub-district, Rees Rowlands, Tyndolau, Llangeitho; deputy, David Morgan, Erw, Llangeitho; Tregaron sub-district, Peter Williams, Brenig-view,Tregaron; deputy, Evan Evans, Chapel street,Tregaron
The workhouse is a building of stone built in 1881, & will hold 80 inmates; Morgan Morgans, master; Evan Lloyd, medical officer; Mrs. Elizabeth Morgans, matrn.
School Attendance Committee.
Meets at Town hall after the meeting of the Rural District Council, 7 times a year.
Clerk, Jenkin Lloyd, Tregaron
Attendance Officer, David Davies, Penlan, Trawsgoed or Crosswood, & Rees Morris, Llangeitho
Rural District Council.
Meets at Town hall after the ordinary meeting of the board, 8 times a year.
Clerk, Jenkin Lloyd, Tregaron
Treasurer, Peter Williams, Brenigview '
Medical Officers of Health, the Medical Officers of the Union
Sanitary Inspector, John P. Rees, Doldre, Tregaron
Places of Worship, with Times of Services
St. Caron, church, Rev. Thomas Phillips B.A. vicar; 10 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed 7 p.m
Calvinistic Methodist, Rev. Morgan Evans; 10 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thurs 7 p.m
Wesleyan, 10 a.m. & 6 p.m
A School Board of seven members, was formed 29 Oct. 1874 for the United District of Caron-ys-clawdd or Tregaron & Llanbadarn-Odwyn; David Thomas, Cambrian house, Tregaron clerk to the board; David Evans, Pentre, Tregaron, attendance officer
Board, built in 1859, for 190 children; average attendance 98; David Thomas, master; Mrs. Sarah Thomas, infants mistress
Board, Blaencaron, built in 1883, for 60 children; average attendance, 42; John Brenig Jones, master
National, built in 1872, for 144 children; average attendance 92; Gwilym Roberts, master
Railway Station,Thomas William Jones, station master
- Davies, Mrs.; Court Mawr
- Evans, Rev. Morgan (Calvinistic Methodist); Mount Prospect
- Evans, John; Werna
- Felix, Mrs. ; Ivy cottage
- Jones, Edwin Oliver
- Jones, Miss; Dinam villas
- Jones, William; Ffhoseliog
- Jones, William, sen. ; Ffron villa
- Lloyd, Evan M.B.; Llys Einon
- Phillips, Rev. Thomas B.A., J.P.(vicar); Vicarage
- Powell, Cornelius Le Brun; Sunny hill
- Rowlands, Robert S.; Argoed
- Rowlands, Rowland John; Argoed
- Thomas, David; Cambrian house,
- William, Daniel Jenkyu. J.P. ; Pencefn
- Davies, Michael Joshua & Sons, boot & shoe ma.kers; North end
- Davies, David, grocer
- Davies, David; New Lamb inn
- Davies, John, farmer ; Penlan
- Davies, John; Old Crown inn
- Davis, John, saddler; Market place
- Edmunds, William, currier
- Edwards, Evans & Co. ironmongers
- Evans, David, butcher; Doldre
- Evans, David, chemist & druggist
- Evans, David, school attendance officer; Pentre
- Evans, David, smith
- Evans, Ebenzr., farmer; Tyn-y-domen
- Evans, Evan, deputy registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Tregaron sub-district; Chapel street
- Evans, Evan, tailor
- Evans, Jane (Mrs.); Pontargamddwr inn
- Evans, John, ironmonger &c, see Edwards, Evans & Co
- Evans, Mary (Mrs.), glass & china dealer; North end
- Evans, Rees, butcher
- Evans, Thomas, draper; Market place
- Hughes, Elizbth.(Mrs.), miller (water)
- Hughes, Thos., shopkeeper; Chapel st
- James, David, farmer; Chapel street
- James, John, farmer; Maes-glas
- James, John, farmer; Cwmnant
- James-Edwards, Dvd., grocer; North end
- Jenkins, David; Sunnyhill hotel
- Jenkins, Elizbth. (Mrs.), frmr.; Trecefil
- Jenkins, John, draper & deputy superintendent registrar
- Jones, Annie & Ellen (Misses), dress makers; Brenig villa
- Jones, Cath. (Mrs), dress mkr.; Chapel st
- Jones, Daniel; Lion hotel
- Jones, David, farmer; Maes-lynn
- Jones, David, saddler; London house
- Jones, David, tailor; Chapel street
- Jones, Edwin Oliver, superintendent registrar of Tregaron union
- Jones, Evan, butcher; Chapel street
- Jones, Jenkin, smith
- Jones, John, butcher
- Jones, Jn. ; Crown &Anchor inn, & mason
- Jones, John, tailor
- Jones, John, yarn spinner
- Jones, John Rees, tailor
- Jones, Margaret (Miss); Railway tavern
- Jones, Rees, draper; Market place
- Jones, Thomas, chemist, dentist & egg merchant; Post office
- Jones, Thomas Wm., coal merchant & station master
- Jones, William, confectioner
- Jones, William, jun. farmer; Ochr
- Lewis, David, watch maker
- Lewis, John, farmer; Penygraig
- Lloyd, Evan M.B. surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator for the Lower district & medical officer to workhouse, Tregaron union & medical officer of health to Tregaron district council; Llys Enion
- Lloyd, Jenkin, clerk to the guardians & assessment committee & school attendance committee of Trearon union & clerk to Tregaron rural district council
- Lloyd, Roderick, farmer, Penybont
- London & Provincial Bank Lim.(sub-branch) (Evan Jones-Williams, manager; open tues only, Market pl; draw on head office, 7 Bank buildings, Lothbury & Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co, London EC
- Morgan, Evan, auctioneer
- Morgan, Rees; Ivybush inn Market pl
- Morgan, Sarah (Mrs.); Talbot hotel Market place
- Morgans, Anne (Mrs.); Fountain inn
- Morgans Danl.; Red Lion P.H North end
- Morgans, Morgan, farmer; Glan-brenig
- Reading Room; Market place
- Rees, Jn. P. sanitary inspector; Doldre
- Rees, Watkin, stocking manufacturer
- Rees, William, farmer; Waun-fawr
- Richards, John; Monarch inn
- Rowlands, Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeepr
- Rowlands, Evan, farmer; Ystrad-caron
- Rowlands, Mary (Miss), coffee rooms
- Rowlands, Thomas; Railway hotel
- Smith, Owen & Davies, solicitors; & at Aberystwyth &c
- Thomas, Daniel, draper; Chapel street
- Thomas, David, grocer & provision merchant & clerk to Tregaron & Llanbadarn-Odwyn. school board; Cambrian house
- Thomas, Jonathan, printer; Market place
- Thomas, Sarah (Miss), glass & china dealer; Chapel street
- Williams, Hugh, farmer; Derrigarron
- Williams, John, grocer & auctioneer
- Williams, Peter, registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Tregaron sub-district & vaccination officer; Brenig view
- Williams, Richard; Wennallt Arms P.H
[Gareth Hicks: 28 March 2004]