"TROEDYRAUR (TROED-YR-AUR), a parish composed of the Upper and Lower divisions, in the upper division of the hundred of TROEDYRAUR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (N.N. E.) from Newcastle-Emlyn, containing 1064 inhabitants, of which number, 603 are in the Upper, and 461 in the Lower, division. The ancient name of this place was Llanvihangel Trêv-Deyrn and was derived from the dedication of its church to St. Michael, and from its having been the residence of some royal personage, perhaps a prince of Ceredigion. Its present name of Troedyraur signifying " the foot of gold," originated in an opinion that gold was formerly procured at the foot of the eminence on which the church is situated...."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]