We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Troed-yr-aur chapels

 

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (April 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

  • 1.  The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
  • 2.   The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.      UWP,   Cardiff, 1976
  • 3.   Nonconformist Registers of Wales published by the National Library of Wales in 1994.
  • 4.   The Parish Churches and Nonconformist Chapels of Wales: Their Records and where to Find them, Vol. One, Cardigan - Carmarthen - Pembroke, by Rawlins, B.J. (1987).
  • 5.  Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 -  the Archive Cd Books Cd
  • 6.  Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 -  the Archive Cd Books Cd
  • 7.  My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
  • 8.  Death and Burial indexes available for purchase from Cardiganshire Family History Society
  • 9. Online Commercial & Residential Directories as appropriate to a particular parish - apart from what may already be on Genuki, see also the Historical Directories site

 Other sources

  • Dyfed FHS  - Photographs of chapels (may also be other data there)
  • Archives Network Wales
  • Lewis 1833 on Genuki  (Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 )

Independent

Hawen Ind chapel, Hawen

  • Hawen Welsh Ind. chapel, Hawen             SN34644680              Chapel built 1747, rebuilt/enlarged 1790, 1811, 1838, renewed 1878        Graveyard added in 1811     Hawen & Glynarthen considered one church for 60 years, separated in 1824 with same minister until 1860      Members; Hawen and Glynarthen in 1838  about 700-750            Records;  1. births & bapts 1785-1806 & 1814-37  PRO   2. see also Glynarthen, Penbryn parish, and Trewen, Brongwyn parish             Still open 1998         (1) & (4)
  • Hawen Ind Sunday school        SN34674684    Still open 1998   (1)
  • Hawen   Ind      "Builded in 1747 and rebuilded in 1790. Ditto in 1811 and Ditto in 1838"       "There is a large burial ground belonging to the chapel...."        William Jones, Minister     1851  (2)
  • Hawen Cong chapel       Bapts 1814-37  PRO;   Bapts 1878-88 NLW     (3)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Davies, Dewi Morgan.  Hanes Eglwys Annibynnol Hawen, Ceredigion . Llandysul : 1947
  •  Hawen Ind chapel shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

 

Methodist

Salem CM chapel, Brongest

  • Salem Welsh CM chapel, near Brongest        SN32404502          Started c1780, chapel built 1811, rebuilt/enlarged 1885      Members; 101 in 1902       Records;    1. births & bapts 1833-37 PRO & in IGI     2. births & bapts 1820-32  PRO                Still open 1998             (1) & (4)
  • Salem chapel, near Brongest village     CM             Erected in 1811          John Thomas, Deacon, Crynant   1851  (2)
  • Salem CM chapel, Brongest      Bapts 1820-37  PRO   (3)
  • Still open in 2006
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.
Twr-gwyn CM chapel, Rhydlewis
  • Twr-gwyn Welsh CM chapel, Rhydlewis            SN35174767           Started 1743, chapel built 1750, enlarged 1779, rebuilt 1816, renewed 1846 & rebuilt 1932.    Growth in membership in periods of ministry of David Morris and his son Ebenezer Morris          Members; 184 in 1902       Records;  births & bapts 1808-37 PRO & in IGI                Still open 1998   (1) & (4)
  • Twrgwyn    CM         Erected before 1800                    Samuel Morris, Deacon, Rhydlewis     1851  (2)
  • Twr-gwyn CM chapel, Rhydlewis      Bapts 1808-37  PRO     (3)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  • Twrgwyn CM still open in 2006
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

 

[Gareth Hicks: 16 Oct 2011]