The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (March 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Verwick or Verwig is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the coast and extending to St. George's Channel, and is 3 miles north from Cardigan terminal station, on the Whitland and Cardigan branch of the Great Western railway, 2 1/2 miles from the town of Cardigan, and 5 south-west from Aberporth, in Troedyraur hundred, Cardigan union and county court district, Lower Troedyraur petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Sub Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St David's.
The church of St. Pedrog, rebuilt with the exception of the tower, in 1853, is a building of stone consisting of chancel, nave, porch, and a western tower of Norman date, containing 1 bell; the east window is stained and there is a fine modern font; the communion plate includes a silver chalice dated 1615. The church affords 120 sittings. The registers date from the year 1769. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £80, average £60, net income £65, in the gift of H.R.H. the Prince of Wales K.G, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Daniel Harries Davies B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter, who is also vicar of Mount, and resides at Cardigan.
There are Baptist and Methodist chapels.
The soil is light loam; subsoil, rock. The chief crops are barley, oats, wheat, some green crops and a portion is under pasturage. The area is 2,980 acres, rateable value £2,029; the population in 1891 was 328.
Gwbert, a small place on the coast in this parish, on the east side of the estuary of the Teifi, is now rising into favour as a watering place.
Parish Clerk, E. Davies.
Post Office.--- Mrs. Elizabeth Evans, sub-postmistress. Letters through Cardigan, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, arrive at 9.15 a.m. dispatched at 9.20 a.m. During the summer months letters are delivered at Gwbert
A School Board of 5 members, for the united district of Mount & Verwick, was formed 19 April, 1875. Ivor Evans, Cardigan, clerk to the board; Henry Davies, attendance officer
Board School (mixed), for Verwig & Mount, built in 1874, for 80 children.; average attendance, 50; David Jones Evans, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 29 March 2004]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996