Verwick - Extract from 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' by Samuel Lewis 1833
"VERWIC (Y-VERWIG), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of TROEDYRAUR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/4miles (N.) from Cardigan, containing 439 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the coast of St. George's channel, is celebrated in the Welsh annals for the memorable and sanguinary resistance opposed by the natives to a body of invading Flemings, who had effected a landing on a part of the beach, called Traeth y Mount ; and in the desperate battle which ensued these invaders were defeated with dreadful carnage, and their dead bodies were strewn in heaps on the sands. This conflict took place on the first Sunday after New year's day, which, from that event, was called Sul Côch, or " the Red Sunday," near a farm named Nant y Flynion, from the small brook in the neighbour-hood, near which the enemy landed. The bones of the slaughtered Flemings buried on the coast are still discoverable when the sands are scattered by the winds. The parish is skirted by the river Teivy, which abounds with salmon, trout, turbots, dories, sewin, and various other kinds of fish, in taking which the inhabitants are chiefly employed during the season. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and the diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £ 10.13.4., endowed with £ 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Pedrog, is a small ancient edifice, with a tower, and consists of a nave and chancel, separated by a large pointed arch : the nave communicates with the tower by a similar arch of smaller dimensions : the ancient font is elaborately ornamented, and over the porch is the date 1627. On a tenement in this parish there is a barrow, from which it has obtained the name of Crûg but nothing is known of its origin. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £201.13."