GENUKI Home page up Ysbyty Ystwyth Contents Contents

 

Kelly's Directory

South Wales 1895

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.


Yspytty Ystwyth is a parish and village in the county of Cardigan on the river Ystwyth, 3 1/2  miles north-east from Strata Florida station, and 8 1/2 miles north-by-east from Tregaron station, both on the Manchester and Milford railway, and 12 1/2 east-by-south from Aberystwyth, in the hundred of Ilar, petty sessional division of Ilar Upper, county court district of Lampeter, and union of Tregaron, and in the rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.

The church of St John the Baptist, erected in 1876, at a cost of 1,250, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch, and an embattled western tower containing one bell; the church affords 150 sittings.The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1781; marriages 1782. The living is a vicarage with the perpetual curacy of Yspytty Ystradmeurig annexed, joint gross yearly value 110, net 100, in the gift of  the Earl of Lisburne, and held since 1870  by the Rev. John Jones M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford. who resides at Yspytty Ystradmeurig.

There are Calvinistic Methodist and Wesleyan  chapels.

The Earl of Lisburne is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

The chief crops are barley and oats. The area is 12,816 acres of land and 113 of water; rateable value, 1,668; the population in 1891 was 711.

Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B., & Annuity & Insurance Office, Pontrhydygroes.---Miss Elizabeth J. Lloyd, sub-postmistress. Letters are received from Ystradmeurig R.S.O. Cardiganshire at 12.30; dispatched at 3.0 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Strata Florida station

A School Board of 5 members was formed 14 August,1875; clerk, William Ball; attendance officer, William James

Board School (mixed), built in 1874, for 140 children; average attendance, 80; William Jenkins, master

Residents

Commercial

Farmers


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 29 March 2004]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.