"YSPYTTY YSTRAD MEURIC, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of YSPYTTY YSTWITH, upper division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 13 miles (S. E.) from Aberystwith, containing 109 inhabitants. This place formerly belonged to the abbey of Strata Florida, about three miles distant, an hospitium or cell to which was situated here ; and from this circumstance, probably, and from its situation near the river Meuric, is derived its name. It is of very limited extent ; but is much distinguished in history for its ancient castle, of the original foundation of which nothing satisfactory is known..."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Ystradmeuric Chapel of Ease Anglican J W Morris, Incumbent
Parish entry for Yspytty Ystwyth with Ystrad Meurig from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Howells, William H. The Library of Edward Richard, Ystradmeurig. Ceredigion, Vol IX/3 1982.
"The traditional picture of the Established Church in eighteenth century Wales tends to emphasise its weaknesses and ignore the attempts at reform. The root cause of the many difficulties which faced the church for much of the period was poverty...... moreover, personal impoverishment could also retard a clergyman's education by preventing him from receiving an adequate education, and even from buying religious literature.......... The teaching of divinity at the universities left much to be desired....in the diocese of St David's few candidates for ordination could afford to enter the English universities.... for much of the period libraries were the clergy's only means of education and enlightenment, but gradually two institutions providing a more formal system of clerical instruction emerged, the first being the grammar school at Ystradmeurig which was set up in the 1740s, the second being the college at Lampeter which opened in 1827...."
"Edward Richard was born in 1714 in the remote village of Ystradmeurig, the youngest child of Thomas and Gwenllian Richard, his father was a tailor .. while his mother kept an inn........ Edward reopened the school at Ystradmeurig in 1746...it grew to become a preparatory school for some of the most reputable educational institutions of England ..... a vital contribution was made to the growth and reputation of the school by the emphasis Edward Richard placed on his library..... described by George Eyre Evans as the 'Bodley of Wales'......"
Index to Burials from Parish Registers 1813-1837 available for purchase from Cardiganshire Family History SocietyVolume 2: Ilar (Upper) Hundred . Parishes covered: Eglwys Newydd, Gwnnws, Llanafan, Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, Llanilar, Lledrod, Rhostïe, Ysbyty Ystwyth, Ystrad Meurig
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., by Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish or chapelry are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
Area 945 acres; Population 61 males, 77 females, total 138
Meyrick, Sir Samuel Rush.(1783-1848) The History and Antiquities of the county of Cardigan. Collected from the few remaining documents which have escaped the ravages of time, as well as from actual observation. Longman: London ,1810. The history and antiquities of the County of Cardigan ... to which are now added a parliamentary history, list of High Sheriffs, some notes on the present county families, &c., &c. repr. Brecon: 1907. This 1907 print has now been reprinted. The section relating to this parish is on pages 268/73; Spytty Ystradmeurig- so called from having been one of the ancient hospitia of the monks of Ystradflur and Ystradmeurig. Birth place of Edward Richard, founder of the renowned grammar school in the parish for the education of poor children in the Latin language and the principles of the Church of England. Section on the Castle.
Hendrefelen estate, records "Deeds relating to the Hendrefelen estate, 1546-1885, in Cardiganshire, Brecon and Manchester, including a faculty from the bishop of St Davids enabling Edward Richard to set up a library at Ystrad Meurig"
Ystrad Meurig Grammar School (St. John's College) Archive 1909-1961 "Ystrad Meurig School was established c.1734 by Edward Richard of Ystrad Meurig who began teaching local boys in the parish church. By 1759, he had over 50 pupils. In 1757, the school was legally established and endowed as a grammar school, and in 1774 was declared open to boys from Cardiganshire, ........ "