"LLANYBYTHER (LLAN-Y-BYDDAR), a parish, in the union of LAMPETER, higher division of the hundred of CATHYNOG, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES....... the parish also contains the village of Glanduar and that of Abergorlech ..........There is also a chapel at Abergorlech ....... " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Abergorlech Chapel A Perpetual Curacy David Jones, Perpetual Curate
Abergorlech New Chapel Ind "The first meeting house was blt in the years 1740 and the second in the year 1781 and this in the yr 1828" Stephen Griffiths, Deacon
Jones, Evan. Byr gofnodiad o fywydau nifer o aelodau ymadawedig eglwysi Crugybar ac Abergorlech, yn ystod gweinidogaeth y Parch Evan Jones, Crugybar (Llanbedr Pont Steffan, 1856). Cyhoeddwyd gyntaf yn Y Diwygiwr, 1856.
From old Abergorlech Church site - "St Davids Church is situated in a tranquil and beautiful part of the Cothi valley. William Pantycelyn was curate at St David's church and Daniel Rowlands Llangeitho also brought the teaching of Christ to this area"
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Baptisms (1813-1993) Marriages (1901-69) and Burials (1813-71) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office. (Pre-1813 records are included in the Lanybydder registers.)
Copy ts PR index CMB 1876-1985 at Carm.RO and ts PR index C 1883-1988 M 1901-69 B 1813-75 at NLW and Carm.RO
Bishops' Transcripts for this ancient chapelry were included with those for Llanybydder and Talley, which are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.
Ind chapel, Abergorlech (c1660) (Capel Newydd) Register 1847-64, 1894-98 NLW & see Capel Isaac, Llandilo fawr parish Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006) See Dyfed FHS (under Llanybydder)
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches),4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Oct 2008)
Candle making at Abergorlech, 1895 - on the People's Collection Wales site
"This postcard was produced by the 'Excelsior Photo Co. Ltd.', Carmarthen and is postmarked 1906. It features a photograph of three women making candles at Abergorlech in 1895 (the photographer being David Thomas, turner, of Tan'r allt, Brechfa)..................................."
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages
G. T. D. Angel collection of Wheatsheaf Inn, Abergorlech, Deeds 1860-1894 (accumulated 1958-1964)
"The house of Ty Mawr, Abergorlech, Llanybudder, Carmarthenshire, has existed since the 16th century as the home of the Price family. In 1834, it was sold to William Jones, and had been converted into a tavern, the Wheatsheaf Inn, by 1840 ......................"