GENUKI Home page up Betws Contents Contents

 

Kelly's Directory for South Wales, 1910

The information  below relating to Betws, Garnant and Glanamman was extracted  by Gareth Hicks with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)

Betws, Garnant and Glanamman

Betws is a parish and village, on the river Amman, in the Eastern division of the county of Carmarthen, 1 mile north from Pantyffynnon Junction station on the Llanelly and Llandovery branch of the Great Western railway, 7 1/2 south of Llandilofawr and 7 north-by-east from Pontardulais in the hundred of Iscennen, Amman Valley petty sessional division, county court district of Llandilo, union of Llandilofawr, rural reanery of Llandilo, archdeaconry of Carmarthen and diocese of St David's.

The church of St David is a plain edifice of stone, consisting of a chancel with aisles, nave, aisle, porch and a turret containing one bell: there are 130 sittings. The register dates from the year 1706. The living is a vicarage, net income 220, with 50 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St David's, and is at present (1910) vacant.

Christchurch, CWMAMMAN, is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1843 out of five adjacent parishes: the church is a plain edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, and a turret containing one bell: it was restored in 1878 at a cost of 505, and again in 1892, at a cost of 100, and affords 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1843. The living is a vicarage, net income 290, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St David's, and held since 1891 by the Rev Evan Davies, who resides at Cwmamman, Garnant.

There are tinplate, color and chemical works and collieries.

Bethel Congregational chapel (Cwmamman) was founded in 1778 and has 850 sittings; there is a Baptist chapel at Glanamman, erected in 1844, seating 450, and a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Maesquarre, is the seat of John L Williams esq.

The Earl Cawdor, who is the lord of the manor, Lord Dynevor, A K Stepney esq of Llanelly and John L Williams esq are the principal landowners.

The chief crops are roots, with some pasturage. The area is 5,818 acres, of which 52 are water; rateable value 13,754; the population in 1901 was 2.865 in the civil and 612 in the ecclesiastical parish.

County Police, Thomas Roberts, sergeant & 1 constable

Public Elementary Schools

Railway Stations


Bettws

Commercial


Garnant

Commercial


Glanamman

Commercial

Farmers

(5 categories of letter addressing instructions are omitted from this extract)

Return to top of page

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.