The information below relating to Betws was extracted by Gareth Hicks with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
BETTWS is a parish on the river Amman, in the Llanelly division of the county of Carmarthen, 1 mile north from Pantyffynnon Junction station on the Llanelly and Llandovery branch of the Great Western railway, 7 1/2 south of Llandilofawr and 7 north-by-east from Pontardulais, in the hundred of Iscennen, Amman Valley petty sessional division, county court district of Llandilo, union of Llandilofawr, rural deanery of Llandilo, archdeaconry of Carmarthen and diocese of St. David's. In 1910, that part of the Ammanford Urban District situate in the parish of Llandebie was added to the Bettws parish, and together they form the ecclesiastical parish of Bettws-cum-Ammanford.
The church of St. David is a plain edifice of stone, consisting of a chancel with aisles, nave, aisle, porch and a turret containing one bell : there are 130 sittings. The register dates from the year 1706. The living is a vicarage, united to that of Ammanford, joint net yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's and the Board of Patronage, and held since 1920 by the Rev. Richard Henry Roberts M.A. of Keble College, Oxford, - who resides at Ammanford.
There are collieries in the parish.
Earl Cawdor, who is lord of the manor, Lord Dynevor D.L., J.P. Lady Howard Stepney J.P. and Edward McDonald esq. are the principal landowners.
The land is principally in pasture. The area is 5,724 acres, of which 52 are water ; rateable value, £7,684; the population in 1911 was 984 in the civil and 7,414 in the ecclesiastical parish.
By Local Government Board Order No. 57,696, which came into operation April 1st, 1912, part of Bettws civil parish was taken to form the new civil parish and Urban District of Cwmamman.
By an Order in Council, gazetted Aug. 15, 1911, part of St. Tybie, LIandebie ecclesiastical parish, containing a population at the 1911 census of 4,911, was transferred to Bettws St. David ecclesiastical parish.
Post Office, Bettws.- Hopkin Harries, sub-postmaster. Letters through Ammanford, Carmarthenshire. The nearest post, money order & telegraph office is at Ammanford, 1 mile distant
Public Elementary School (mixed), for 380 children; Rhys Thomas, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 22 Sept 2007]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996