"Carmarthenshire is in the diocese of St. David's, and province of Canterbury: it is almost wholly included in the archdeaconry of Carmarthen, which comprises the deaneries of Carmarthen, Kidwelly, Llandilo, and Llangadock, in Carmarthenshire, and that of Gower in the county of Glamorgan: four of its parishes are comprised in the archdeaconry of Cardigan: the total number of them is seventy-six, of which, fifteen are rectories, thirty-eight vicarages, and twenty-three perpetual curacies. For purposes of civil government it is divided into the hundreds of Cathinog, Cayo, Derllys, Elvet (each of which has Higher and Lower divisions), and the three comots, or hundreds, of Carnwellon, Iscennen, and Kidwelly, which form a separate liberty, distinct from the rest of the county, having its own bailiff, coroner, &c. It contains the, boroughs, market-towns, and ports, of Carmarthen and Llanelly; the incoporated market and sea-port towns of Kidwellly and Laugharne; the market-towns of Llandilo-Vawr, Llandovery, Llangadock, and Newcastle-Emlyn; and the small sea-port of St. Clear's. One knight was formerly returned to parliament for the shire, which by the act for "Amending the representation of the People," passed in 1832, now sends two, and one representative for the borough of Carmarthen, to which that of Llanelly has been made contributory: the county member was, prior to the passing of the act, elected at Llandilo-Vawr, but they are now elected at Camarthen; the polling places are Carmarthen, Llandilo-vawr, and Llandovery. This county is in the South Wales circuit: the assizes, and the Epiphany, Easter, and Michaelmas quarter sessions are held at Carmarthen, and the Midsummer quarter sessions at Llandilo-Vawr: the county gaol and county house of correction are at Carmarthen: there are thirty-five acting magistrates for the county. It comprises the poor law unions of Carmarthen, Llandilo-Vawr, Llandovery (except two parishes in Brecknockshire), and Llanelly (except the borough and parish of Lougher, in Glamorganshire), five parishes in the union of Lampeter, four in that of Newcastle-Emlyn, and some in Narberth union."
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
[Gareth Hicks : 13 Nov 1999]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996