Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"CASTEL-DAUYRAN (CASTELL-DWYRAN or DYRAM,) a chapelry, partly in the parish of KILMAENLLWYD, lower division of the hundred of DERRLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, partly in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (N.E.) from Narberth; containing 60 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, united to the rectory of Kilymaenllwyd. This place is supposed to have taken its name from a castle which anciently stood near the chapel, called Castell Dwy Ran, and which formed part of the possessions held in equal portions by two sisters; but the castle has long since been demolished, and no vestige of it remains. " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
CASTELL-DWYRAN ecclesiastical remains on the Institute of Archaeology site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Castell Duran
Parish entry for Llanfallteg with Clynderwen and Castell Dwyran from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).
- Parish Church
- Chapel of Ease (Clynderwen)
- Chapel of Ease (Castell Dwyran)
- Incumbent and Curates; G M Williams
- Rural Deanery of St Clears
- Acreage 1,870 ; Population 751
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Marriages (1754-82, 1837-1926) are at the National Library of Wales with copies at Carmarthenshire Records Office.
Bishops' Transcripts are with those of Cilymaenllwyd, at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989) .
No non-conformist chapels found in this parish
Places, villages, farms etc within Castell-Dwyran as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Katherine Hocking)
- Castell-Dwyran (88); Ffynnon-brodyr
In the Western Mail April 2002:
Village to be made whole once more, 170 years on; "170 years after it was first torn apart, St Dogmaels is to be made whole again. Traditionally belonging to Pembrokeshire, the village of St Dogmaels on the banks of the Teifi was split into two in 1832 when a chunk of it was taken out of Pembrokeshire and given to Cardiganshire. The National Assembly has now approved a Boundary Commission recommendation to unify the village within Pembrokeshire. Historically always part of Pembrokeshire- the river traditionally acted as the boundary marker between it and Cardiganshire-it was first divided up in 1832 for electoral reasons when a third of the village moved into Cardigan. Today there are 307 villagers living in the Cardigan section and 777 in Pembrokeshire. Villagers first asked to be reunified in 1885 and again in 1976 but were turned down. The Boundary Commission has also decided to swap over 2200 hectares of land around Clunderwen, presently in Carmarthenshire, into Pembrokeshire."
You can see pictures of Castell-Dwyran which are provided by:
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). With the kind permission of the publishers sundry extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see below for this parish
- A discussion about the royal house of Dyfed refers to Aircol Lawhir (the long-handed) who lived c 500 AD and mentions his son, Vortiporius, one of the five tyrants held up to reprobation by the author of De Excidio; he is "the worthless son of a good king", as Manasseh was of Hezekiah. ...............By a remarkable piece of good fortune the tombstone of this ruler has lately come to light. It originally stood near Castell Dwyran church, in the centre of Dyfed, was then moved to Gwarmacwydd in the same region, and rests in the county museum at Carmarthen...................
- Slight traces indicate the possible former existence of a hill fort with earthen ramparts at the following site...................Y Gaer, Ffynnon Brodyr, Castell Dwyran.
- A schedule of standing stones in the county shows the entry---Glanrhyd Farm Buildings, Castell Dwyran.
[Gareth Hicks : 23 Dec 2012]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN144182 (Lat/Lon: 51.831458, -4.695074), Castell-Dwyran which are provided by: