The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
- Including town of Newcastle; Area 6429 acres; Population 934 males, 1046 females, total 1980
Places, villages, farms etc within Cenarth as shown on the online parish map from the CD off Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Merv Thomas)
- Cenarth ; Argoed, Blaen-ffos, Blaen-Gwyddon, Bryn, Bwlch-melyn, Cenarth, Clyn-athinog, Foel, Gelli-dywyll, Gelligatti, Gelli-oerlas, Hendy, Llety-dyd, Llwyn-bedw, Newcastle Emlyn, Pant-yr-hawl, Parc-nest, Pen, Penallt-Cillo, Pen-buarth, Pen-gelli, Pen-gelli-fach, Pengwern, Pengwern-isaf, Pen-lon, Pen-rherber, Pont-gureg, Rhid-y-felin, Shiral, Soar
Photographs and description of Newcastle Emlyn Castle on Castle Wales
National Coracle Centre [and 17th Century Flour Mill] at Cenarth
Cenarth Falls - on Trek Earth
Newcastle Emlyn - on Wikipedia
" The noble river Teivi flows here, and abounds with the finest salmon, more than any other river of Wales; it has a productive fishery ( ? near Cilgerran), which is situated on the summit of a rock, at a place called Canarch Mawr*, the ancient residence of St Ludoc, where the river, falling from a great height, forms a cataract, which the salmon ascend, by leaping from the bottom to the top of a rock.... * (now known by the name of Kenarth, which may be derived from Cefn y garth - the back of the wear, a ridge of land behind the wear.) ' The church dedicated to St Ludoc, the mill, bridge, salmon leap, an orchard with a delightful garden, all stand together on a small plot of ground.' "
The Itinerary Through Wales and The Description of Wales by Giraldus Cambrensis (1188). The text is that of Sir Richard Colt Hoare who published an English translation in 1806, chiefly from the texts of Camden and Wharton . This extract is mostly from the foot-notes in the Everyman's Library edition, (ed. Ernest Rhys) 1908.
Newcastle Emlyn Rural District, Carmarthenshire: the official guide, Home Publishing Co (1953) 28 p., ill.
Stephenson, Mary Jane. Dewch am Dro! (Come for a walk!) Written for Welsh learners it describes a collection of walks around Penrherber in Cenarth parish but also contains a history and geography of the area. Mary Jane consulted census records, tithe maps, parish records and various books referring to Penrherber where there are local historical links going back as far as the Bronze Age