"In the hamlet of Regwm, in the parish [of Llanboidy], is a chapel dedicated to St. David, called Eglwys-Vair-Lan-Tāf, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Tāf, and on the border of Pembrokeshire: the living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Frederick Bludworth, Esq., who is owner of eleven-fourteenths of the tithes of the hamlet, of which the remainder belongs to the incumbent, and other impropriators; net income £66. " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Eglwys Fair Llan Taf
Parish entry for Whitland (otherwise Eglwysfair Glyntaf) and Kiffig) from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).
Listed in Parish Registers of Wales as Whitland/HendyGwyn (Eglwys Fair Glyn Taf), and described as formerly a chapelry to Llanboidy. The modern parish was formed in 1910 out of Cyffig, Llanboidy. Llan-Gan, and the Pembrokeshire parish of Lampeter Velfrey (Llanbedr Felffre).
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1932), Marriages (1813-1952) and Burials (1813-1913) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office. (Earlier registers, reported as existing in 1931, covering Christenings (1783-1807) and Marriages (1765-1812) are apparently lost.)
Bishops' Transcripts are with those for Llanboidy, and are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg for Hendy Gwyn parish church
Griffiths, Ivor (trans.) The History of Whitland by the Rev William Thomas (1868). Here is an Index by Gerry Lewis
Lewis, T.E., Jones, J.T. and Lewis, H. Local heritage from Efailwen to Whitland: comprising the history of the parishes of Climaenllwyd, Hellanfallteg, Llanboidy, Llandysilio, Llanddewi Velfrey, Whitland (2 vols), Clunderwen, The Author (1976) [ISBN: 0902126059 (v. 2)] p.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish.
Price, M. R. C. The Whitland & Cardigan Railway. Blandford: Oakwood Press, 1976. 71p, p of plates: ill, 1 facsim, maps, plans, ports; 22cm. [ISBN 0853611947]
Thomas, William. Hynafiaethau yr Hendygwyn-ar-Daf (The history of Whitland) [S.l.]: [s.n.],  66p: ill; 30cm.
[Gareth Hicks : 17 Oct 2011]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996