Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Laugharne

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Laugharne

"LAUGHARNE, otherwise TÀLYCHARN, an incorporated sea-port and market-town, and a parish, in the higher division of the hundred of DERLLYS, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 12 1/2 miles (S.W.) of Carmarthen, and 228 (W.) from London; containing 2011 inhabitants, of which number 1390 are in the township of Laugharne . . . The TOWN is beautifully situated on a level plot of ground, inclosed on every side, except towards the sea, by lofty eminences richly clothed with timber, and consists principally of one long and spacious street, intersected at right angles by a shorter thoroughfare, leading to that part of it called the Cors, in which are some new buildings. The houses are in general well built, and of respectable appearance; the streets are partially paved, and the inhabitants are amply supplied with water. . . The parish . . . is in general fertile and productive . . The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is a spacious and venerable cruciform structure, with a square embattled tower, supported on pointed arches . . . The remains of the ancient castle, which crowns the summit of a cliff at the mouth of the Tâf, near the southern extremity of the town, are extensive and in an excellent state of preservation . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • St Michael, Laugharne parish Church J G Mitford, Churchwarden, Laugharne
  • Bwlchnewydd Baptist Erected in 1802 David Davies, Minister, Bwlchnewydd
  • Providence, Cliff St Ind Erected in 1850 "Philadelphia the old chapel was Rebuilt in 1800, but gone out of Repairs. Providence was built in cliff street by the same Denomination in 1850" Richard John, Deacon, Smith, Laugharne
  • Tabernacle CM Erected in 1833 Rees Havard, Minister, Cal. Methst. Minister, Laugharne
  • Newbridge WM Erected in 1811 Thomas Harding, Minister, Llanelly

Parish entry for Laugharne with Llansadurnen from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).

  • St Martin & St Sadwrn (Llansadurnen)
  • Incumbent and Curates; S B Williams (D T Owen)
  • Rural Deanery of St Clears
  • Acreage 8,635 & 1,473 ; Population 1,521

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Martin's Church

    Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llacharn

    Thomas, D.M. History of Nonconformity in Laugharne: The Congregationalists, Trans. Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society and Field Club, vol. 13, (1918-19).

    Thomas, D.M. History of Nonconformity in Laugharne: The Methodists, Trans. Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society and Field Club, vol. 16, (1922-23).

    Church Records

    Laugharne Church -photograph and basic information from Dyfed FHS

    Parish registers: Christenings (1651-1974), Marriages (1639-1971), Banns (1801-47, 1857-1907) and Burials (1645-1972) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

    Facsimile Parish registers: Christenings (1651-1812), Marriages (1639-1800) and Burials (1645-1812) are at the National Library of Wales and the Society of Genealogists.

    Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1639-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1672, 1677-9, 1681-2, 1686, 1704-5, 1711, 1715, 1717, 1721, 1725-1800, 1802-39, 1841, 1854-5, 1857, 1859-61, 1864, 1868-82, 1884-5, 1887-9) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

    Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Bwlchnewydd (Baptist, 1798), near Bwlchnewydd farm in upper Laugharne parish SN3010 Built 1802. Rebuilt/modified 1852. Still open 1998 Coflein
    • Tabernacle (Calvinistic Methodist, 1748), Wogan St, Laugharne town SN30151076 Built in 1833 & rebuilt/modified 1872. Demolished pre 1998 Coflein
    • Providence (Independent, c1696), King St, Laugharne Births and baptisms (1825-37) PRO RG4/4015, LDS 828112, IGI; and see Bethlehem (St. Clears) and Henllan (Henllan Amgoed) SN30341087 Old English Congregational chapel (Providence), Cliff St, Laugharne Built c.1750; rebuilt/modified 1809 & 1853. Demolished by 1998 (1950?) Coflein
      Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Feb 2009)
    • New Congregational (English)chapel, King St, Laugharne SN30211098 Built c 1890 Still open 1998 Coflein
    • Philadelpha Independent chapel, Laugharne SN3010 Rebuilt 1800 Coflein
    • Chapel (Wesleyan Methodist, 1800?), Newbridge near the Cors, Laugharne town Records with those of Wesleyan Chapel (Carmarthen) English Wesleyan, Newbridge St SN30131087 Built in 1810/11. Demolished by 1998 Coflein Old Chapel, Newbridge St, Laugharne - See Capeli (2005 list of chapels under threat)
    • Chapel (Moravian, 1763), Laugharne parish until 1810 then new chapel in Pendine parish Records with those of Moravian Chapel (Haverfordwest)
    • Quakers' Burial Ground, Cross Inn, Laugharne SN29881156 Demolished pre 1998 Coflein

    Description and Travel

    The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

    • Laugharne parish; Area 14708 acres; Population 259 males, 271 females, total 530
    • Laugharne township; Area inc above ; Population 672 males, 809 females, total 1481

    Places, villages, farms etc within Laugharne as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

    • Laugharne (62); Brixtarw; Brixton; Camp; Castell-toch; Castle Lloyd; Colston; Cresswell; Cwm-brwyn; Cynog's Well; Great Hill Burrows; Great Newton; Halfpenny Furze; Hill Down; Laugharne Burrows; Llanmiloe Ho.; Maes-gwnda; Moor Fm.; Morfa-bach; Mylet; New Mill; Newton; Pen-coed; West Marsh; Westmead Fm.; Whitehill Down; Woodhouse Fm.
    • Laugharne township (63); Brill; Broadway; Castle; Causeway Fm.; East Ho.; East Marsh; Ginst Point; Gosport; Hillside; Hurst Ho.; Laugharne (town); Laugharne Burrows; Laugharne Sands; Longridge; Milton; New Ho.; River Taf; Roche Castle; Sir John's Hill; The Laques

      Laugharne Castle - on Castle Wales

      The Dylan Thomas Boathouse site

      Page, Claude A. About Laugharne: the home of Dylan Thomas. Tenby: H. G. Walters (Publishers), 1972. 32p: ill, map; 21cm.

      You can see pictures of Laugharne which are provided by:

      Directories

      Hunt, E.C. Directory and Topography for the Cities of Gloucester and Bristol: and the towns of Carmarthen, Kidwelly, Laugharne, Llanelly, and St. Clears [etc.]., London, B.W. Gardiner (1849) iv, 558 p.

      Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1830. Here are Extracts relating to St Clears, Laugharne and Neighbourhoods

      Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1844. Here are Extracts relating to Laugharne and Neighbourhoods

      Historical Geography

      You can see the administrative areas in which Laugharne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

      Ask for a calculation of the distance from Laugharne to another place.

      History

      Avent, R. Laugharne Castle, Cardiff, Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments (1995) 48 p., ill. (chiefly col), geneal. table, maps, plans, ports. [ISBN: 1857600665 (pbk)]

      Curtis, Mary. The antiquities of Laugharne, Pendine, and their neighbourhoods: Carmarthenshire, Amroth, Sandersfoot, Cilgetty, Pembrokeshire, South Wales. (2nd ed.) London: Printed for the author by R. Clay, 1880. viii, 339p: ill, geneal tables; 19cm.

      Price, D.M. and O'Brien, M.L. Greatest of the three: a historical survey of Laugharne and Pendine, [Pendine] (Llanmiloe Primary School, Pendine, Carms.) : [D.M. Price] (1973) [7], 66 p. : p., ill., maps, plans. [ISBN: 0950287105] p.

      Tucker, J. A. G. Yesteryear: Laugharne in the inter-war years. [s.l.]: J.A.G. Tucker, 1988. ca 60p: ill; 22cm.

      Laugharne: local history and folklore. [Llandysul]: Gomer, [1985?] 64p: ill; 20x21cm. [Reproduction of manuscript copy.] [ISBN 0863831540]

      Land and Property

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Llan-dawg estate 1784-1920 "The Edwardes family owned extensive lands in Pembrokeshire (including Skomer Island, Midland, Grassholm and Gateholm islands), in Carmarthenshire (including Castell Llwyd, Llan-dawg and Westmead in the Laugharne area), ........................"

      Documents at the National Library of Wales:

      • Deeds and papers deposited by D. Roy Evans including manuscripts of the works of Mrs A.A. Puddicombe [Allen Raine]; deeds relating to Laugharne, 1609-1756, and to the counties of Cardigan, Carmarthen and Pembroke, 1695-1877.

      Maps

      You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN301105 (Lat/Lon: 51.767289, -4.463680), Laugharne which are provided by:

      Merchant Marine

      James, Terrence, and Humphreys, Anna. The loss of the brigantine 'Amiable Martha' off Laugharne, September 1786: with a translation from the original French by Anna Humphreys. Carmarthenshire Antiquary 31 (1995), p. 67-74

      Names, Geographical

      Charles, B.G. English place-names in Laugharne. In Camarthenshire studies, pp.122-135, Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire County Council, (1974).

      Public Records

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Laugharne Corporation Records [c. 1283]- [20th century] "The town of Laugharne, on the west bank of the Tâf estuary, received its charter from Sir Guy de Brian, Lord of Laugharne, in 1290. He created a Corporation, administered by a portreeve and his court of aldermen and burgesses. The Corporation is still in operation ......................."
      • Laugharne Parish Council Records and Community Council Records 1895-1993

      Social life and Customs

      J.A.G.T. (J A G Tucker). Yesteryear: Laugharne in the inter-war years, [Great Britain?], [J.A.G.T?] (1988) 1 v., ill., ports.