We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Pigot & Co. South Wales directory for 1844

The information  below relating to Laugharne and Neighbourhoods was extracted  by Gareth Hicks with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)

Laugharne & Neighbourhoods

Laugharne, or Lacharne, is a small market town and borough, in the parish of its name, hundred of Derllys, county of Carmarthen; situated three miles south from St Clears, at the mouth of the Iaf or Jave, on a low bank of the Estuary, with a ferry to Llanstephan. A small river, called the Coran, runs through the town; from this stream originated the modern name of Corse, applied to the marshy lands through which it runs.

Laugharne was distinguished as a fortified place prior to the Norman invasion, and supposed to be founded by the Princes of Dynevor; its castle was taken from the Normans, and destroyed by Llewellyn Ab Jerworth, Prince of South Wales, in the year 1215, but was rebuilt in the following reign by Sir Guido de Brian, lord high admiral of England, and anciently lord of Talycharn. By him the borough was first incorporated, and the charter was confirmed by Henry III, and subsequently ratified and enlarged by Edward VI.

The corporation possess lands, granted by Sir Guido de Brian, now of the value of £20, certain portions of which are enjoyed by seventy six of the senior poor burgesses.The corporate body consists of a portrieve and grand jury, who hold a court-leet and court-baron every fortnight.

The richly embroidered mantle of Sir Guido de Brian, is still preserved in the church.

The family of the Laugharnes have settled here ever since the marriage of their ancestors, Oawen Laugharne, with the daughter of Sir Guido de Brian; one of whose descendants was a general in the parliamentary army of the civil war.

The living of Laugharne is a vicarage, united to the rectory of Llansadwrnan, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Calvinists and Independents.

The market is held every Friday; and the fairs May 6th, June 19th, September 28th, and November 10th.

Population of the parish, in 1831, was 2,020; in 1841, 2,010.

Post Office, Matthew Lewis, Post Master. --- Letters from all parts arrive every morning at nine and are depatched every afternoon at four.

Gentry and Clergy

  • Beard, Miss ---; Laugharne
  • Blackmoore, Samuel MD; Laugharne
  • Brown, Col John Fredk; Laugharne
  • Dickinson, Capt --- RN; Laugharne
  • Dixon, John Esq; Cliff side
  • Fairchild, Dennis Esq; Laugharne
  • Harding, Capt ---; Hill side
  • Harrison, Rev J N; Laugharne
  • Heptenstall, J N Esq
  • Howell, Mrs --- ; Laugharne
  • Hughes, Col --- CB; Corranbrook
  • Lane, Capt ---; Laugharne
  • Locke, Henry Esq
  • Morris, Richard Esq; Parson's Lodge
  • Osbaldiston, Capt ---; Parsonage House
  • Parry, George E Esq; Laugharne
  • Parry, Mrs ---; Laugharne
  • Rees, Rev Benjamin; Laugharne
  • Rollo, Robert Esq; Gosport House
  • Shields, Hy William Esq; Llandawk
  • Skyrme, Miss ---; Laugharne
  • Stackpole, George Esq; Laugharne
  • Starke, Mrs Elizabeth; Laugharne
  • Thomas, Rev D ; Llandawk
  • Thomas, the Misses ---; Laugharne
  • Thomas, Mrs Major; Laugharne
  • Thomas, Capt Thomas R; Laugharne
  • Treharne, Mrs ---; Laugharne
  • Tucker, Capt Thomas; Laugharne
  • Watkins, John Lloyd Vaughan Esq
  • Wood, Mrs N; Glanmoor


  • Davies, Zerubable
  • National School --- Robt Thomas, master; Justina Davies, mistress
  • Wood, Mrs


  • Hamilton, William Sackville
  • Whittaker, James


  • Lewis, Matthew
  • Lloyd, William
  • Rees, John
  • Wilkins, Theodocia


  • John, James
  • John, Richard
  • Rees, David
  • Williams, John
  • Williams, Richard

Boot and Shoe Makers

  • Beynon, James
  • Hugh, Thomas
  • Hugh, Thomas
  • Williams, William


  • Brooks, Richard
  • David, John
  • Hughes, William
  • Phillip, Thomas

Butter and Corn Dealers

  • David, John
  • Escott, John
  • Lewis, Seth Phillip


  • Brigstocke, Job
  • Davies, David
  • Davies, Joshua
  • Davies, Thomas
  • Escott, John
  • Evans, John
  • Lewis, Evan
  • Powell, Robert
  • Thomas, Joshua

Chymist & Druggist

  • David, James


  • Howell, Daniel
  • Jones, Thomas

Flannel Manufacturers

  • Evans, John
  • George, William

Grocers & Drapers

  • Edmunds, Esau
  • Escott, Thomas
  • Franklin, George
  • George, James
  • Hugh, Jane
  • James, Esther
  • James, William
  • Jones, Edward
  • Lewis, Sarah
  • Powell, John
  • Saer, John
  • Williams, David
  • Wood, Thomas


(See also Taverns & Public Houses)

  • Globe Commercial Inn (and excise office), James Pepler


  • Powell, John
  • Williams, Ann


  • Lewis, Seth Phillips
  • Pepler, James


  • Griffiths, Samuel
  • Jones, Benjamin

Milliners and Dress Makrs

  • Davies, Margaret
  • Davies, Mary Ann
  • Lewis, Ann
  • Wilkins, Jane

Painters & Glaziers

  • Davies, Isaac
  • Davies, Joshua
  • Davies, Thomas

Ship Builders

  • Evans, David
  • Roberts, Thomas

Stone Masons

  • Hitchin, Evan
  • Hitchin, William
  • Hitchin, Willim jun
  • Hugh, John
  • Morris, John
  • Phillips, Thomas
  • Richards, David
  • Thomas, John


  • Francis, Thomas
  • Morgan, David
  • Wilkins, John

Taverns and Public Houses

  • Blue Ball, Elizabeth Williams
  • Butchers' Arms, David Lewis
  • Commercial, John Sedger
  • Cross, Robert Powell
  • Farmers' Arms, Richard Collins
  • Ferry House, James Morgan
  • Greyhound, John David
  • Jolly Sportsman, David, Hugh
  • Rose and Crown, Richard Killa
  • Ship, Thomas Skeel
  • Shipwrights' Arms, David Evans
  • Three Horse Shoes, Richard Williams
  • Three Mariners, Joshua Davies
  • Traveller's Rest, David John
  • Victoria, David Davies
  • White Hart, Thomas, Evans


  • Brown, John, coast officer
  • Collins, John, boarding house; the Grove
  • Hamilton, Henry, surgeon
  • Lloyd, William, tallow chandler
  • Poyer, Henry, glover
  • Reading Room --- F L Brown, secretary
  • Thomas, Joshua, auctioneer; Laugharne
  • Treharne, W N, professor of music


  • To Carmarthen, John David's Car, every Wednesday and Saturday

Conveyance by Water

  • To Bristol, the Betsy, John Evans, master, and the Penelope, Wm Hughes, master, once a fortnight