We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANYCRWYS (LLAN-Y-CRWYS), a parish, in the union of LAMPETER, partly in the upper division of the hundred of CAYO, and partly in the upper division of that of CATHINOG, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (E.S.E.) from Lampeter; containing 400 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated near the river Cothy, and separated from the parish of Cayo by the small river Twrch, which flows near the church, comprises, in addition to an extensive tract of common, a large portion of arable and pasture land, inclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surface is varied, and the surrounding scenery is agreeably diversified; the adjacent country is mountainous, and the views from the higher grounds embrace objects rather of striking boldness than of pleasing or picturesque beauty. The soil is favourable to the growth of corn and hay, of both which the land yields abundant crops . . . The church, dedicated to St. David, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. There is a day school, in which about 30 children are instructed at the expense of their parents; and a Sunday school, consisting of 90 males and females, is supported by the Independents. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Monumental inscriptions for Llan-y-Crwys Church, and for Ffaldybrenin Independent Chapel, are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llanycrwys Parish Church                     D Price Lewis, Perpetual Curate
  • Ffaldybrenin   Ind                  Erected in 1833                  Rees Jones, Minister

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St David
  • Incumbent and Curates; M Griffiths
  • Rural Deanery of Lampeter
  • Acreage 3,366 ; Population 320

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan y Crwys

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the ( Welsh) extract from this book relating to Ffaldybrenin Independent Chapel  (extracted by Gareth Hicks)

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

PR Christenings and Burials (1720-1812) and Marriages (1746-1812) recorded in 1831 apparently lost.

Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1813-1992) . Marriages (1813-1885, 1890-1970) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies of M (1813-85) at Carm.RO.

Copies ts PR index C (1813-1992) M (1813-1994) B (1813-1992) at NLW.

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1677-9, 1681, 1684, 1686-7, 1690, 1693-4, 1696-9, 1703, 1708-9, 1716, 1718, 1720-2, 1724-8, 1730-46, 1750-1, 1754-70, 1772-9, 1781-6, 1788-9, 1791, 1794, 1809-11, 1813-39, 1841-2, 1852-5, 1874-6) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 20 - Cayo Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989).

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Ffaldybrenin (Independent, c1700?), Ffaldybrenin, Hendy                       Births and baptisms (1765-1837) PRO RG4/3825, LDS 828113, IGI; other records with those of Esgairdawe (Pencarreg)                   On Dyfed FHS                       Saron Ind, Ffaldybrenin shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Esgairlas Non-denominational chapel, Llanycrwys                          On Dyfed FHS

Held at Carmarthen Archives;

  • Reconstituted families from the baptism registers of both Esgairdawe and Ffaldybrenin Independent chapels ,and also Llanycrwys church, 1995. Also Memorial Inscriptions for the two chapels mentioned.

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llan-Y-Crwys which are provided by:

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Llanycrwys parish consisting of the hamlets of Fforest and Mynachty;   Area 3379 acres; Population 244 males, 251 females, total 495

Places, villages, farms etc within Llan-y-Crwys  parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Merv Thomas)

  • Llanycrwys (4); Bach-ystarn, Cae-Caradog, Derwlwyn, Esgair-corn, Esgair-crwys, Ffald-Brenin, Gelli,  Llanycrwys, Llwyn-wormwood, Pen-y-bryn, Rhos-y-bedw 


Carmarthenshire Families

Walters, Islwyn. THOMAS of Llanycrwys, CMN . Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 7/89 . Tracing the life of a distant relative from his birth in Caegwyn to his burial at Maenclochog, PEM, through census and family records.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llan-Y-Crwys has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Jenkins, Dan. Cerddi Ysgol Llanycryws ynghyd a Hanes Plwyf Llanycryws. 1934

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN640453 (Lat/Lon: 52.089255, -3.986505), Llan-Y-Crwys which are provided by:

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanycrwys Parish Council records  1894-1980


[Gareth Hicks: 17 Dec 2012]