GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents


LLAN-Y-CRWYS [Llan-Crwys]

"LLANYCRWYS (LLAN-Y-CRWYS), a parish, in the union of LAMPETER, partly in the upper division of the hundred of CAYO, and partly in the upper division of that of CATHINOG, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (E.S.E.) from Lampeter; containing 400 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated near the river Cothy, and separated from the parish of Cayo by the small river Twrch, which flows near the church, comprises, in addition to an extensive tract of common, a large portion of arable and pasture land, inclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surface is varied, and the surrounding scenery is agreeably diversified; the adjacent country is mountainous, and the views from the higher grounds embrace objects rather of striking boldness than of pleasing or picturesque beauty. The soil is favourable to the growth of corn and hay, of both which the land yields abundant crops . . . The church, dedicated to St. David, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. There is a day school, in which about 30 children are instructed at the expense of their parents; and a Sunday school, consisting of 90 males and females, is supported by the Independents. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


Monumental inscriptions for Llan-y-Crwys Church, and for Ffaldybrenin Independent Chapel, are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Church History

LLANYCRWYS, St. David 1891-1892   - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).


Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan y Crwys

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the ( Welsh) extract from this book relating to Ffaldybrenin Independent Chapel  (extracted by Gareth Hicks)

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

PR Christenings and Burials (1720-1812) and Marriages (1746-1812) recorded in 1831 apparently lost.

Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1813-1992) . Marriages (1813-1885, 1890-1970) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies of M (1813-85) at Carm.RO.

Copies ts PR index C (1813-1992) M (1813-1994) B (1813-1992) at NLW.

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1677-9, 1681, 1684, 1686-7, 1690, 1693-4, 1696-9, 1703, 1708-9, 1716, 1718, 1720-2, 1724-8, 1730-46, 1750-1, 1754-70, 1772-9, 1781-6, 1788-9, 1791, 1794, 1809-11, 1813-39, 1841-2, 1852-5, 1874-6) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 20 - Cayo Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989).

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Held at Carmarthen Archives;

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Places, villages, farms etc within Llan-y-Crwys  parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Merv Thomas)


Carmarthenshire Families

Walters, Islwyn. THOMAS of Llanycrwys, CMN . Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 7/89 . Tracing the life of a distant relative from his birth in Caegwyn to his burial at Maenclochog, PEM, through census and family records.


Jenkins, Dan. Cerddi Ysgol Llanycryws ynghyd a Hanes Plwyf Llanycryws. 1934

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish


Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 17 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.