GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents



"LLANARTHNEY (LLAN-ARTHNEU), a parish, in the hundred of ISCENNEN, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 6 3/4 miles (W. by S.) from Llandilo-Vawr, and 7 1/2 (E.) from Carmarthen; containing 2178 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated on the south bank of the river Towy . . . It comprises by measurement about 11,000 acres, nearly all inclosed, and comprehends a considerable part of the mountain of Mawr, and a large tract of arable and pasture land . . . The village, through which passes the turnpike-road from Carmarthen to Llandilo-Vawr, is surrounded by a profusion of the richest and most picturesque scenery; situated on the south bank of the Towy, on one of the finest reaches of that beautiful river, it appears to be entirely inclosed by lofty eminences of singularly diversified aspect. . . Myddleton Hall, originally the property of David, brother of Sir Hugh Myddleton, and subsequently that of the late Sir William Paxton, who built the present mansion, occupies an eminence at a short distance from the vale . . . The church, dedicated to St David, is a neat plain edifice, with a low square tower, but presents no architectural details of importance. . . There were formerly two chapels of ease, of which one is now in ruins, and the other occupied by a congreagation of dissenters. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


An 1821 listing of householders is held at the Carmarthenshire R.O.

Walters, G. Census Returns for Llanarthney, Carmarthenshire. J. of the Dyfed FHS, vol. 6, no. 5, (1998) pp.178-183. Has a lot of data about occupations.

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants


Parish entry for Llanarthney from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

Parish entry for Gorslas from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).


George, Eifion. Eglwys Annibynnol y Tabernacl, Cefneithin, 1876-1976, (Llandysul, 1977), 145p.

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1720-1891), Marriages (1720-1909), Banns (1754-96, 1829-47) and Burials (1720-1953) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Facsimile Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1720-1812) and Marriages (1720-1811) are at the National Library of Wales.

Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1720-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1720-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1672-3, 1678, 1681, 1707, 1717, 1720, 1725, 1727, 1730-M, 1748-53, 1755-89, 1791-1800, 1802-67, 1871-81) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 18 - Iscennin Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

An Index to Baptism 1813-1875  Marriage 1720-1875  Burial 1813-1875 has been produced by  Dyfed FHS

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Gors-Las [formed out of Llanarthney/Llandybie/ and Llanfihangel Aberbythych in 1879]
Christenings (1880-1951)  Marriages (1880-1982)  Cross Hands (1959-79)  Burials (1881-1945) at Carm.RO

Held at Carmarthen Archives;

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanarthney  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

Photographs and description of Dryslwyn Castle.

Jones, Tom & Delyth. Llanarthne Ddoe a Heddiw - Llanarthney past and present. Carmarthen County Council 2002

The National Botanic Garden of Wales, Llanarthne, National Botanic Garden of Wales (1997) 19 p., col ill., maps.


Carmarthenshire Families

Held at Carmarthen Archives;


Beynon, T. Golud a mawl Dyffryn Tywi, Caernarfon, Argraffdy'r Methodistiaid Calfinaidd (1936) 143 p.

Hanes Plwyf Llanarthney (History of Llanarthney Parish). NLW Ms 16552C [LDS 825318]

Jones, Tom & Delyth.   Llanarthne Ddoe a Heddiw (Llanarthney Past and Present).  Carmarthenshire County Council, 2002. 500 p

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish.

Rowlands, J. Llanarthney. In Historical Notes of the Counties of Glamorgan, Carmarthen, & Cardigan, and a list of the Members of Parliament for South Wales, from Henry VIII, to Charles II., Cardiff, Hugh Bird (1866), pp.46-48.

Solomon, A. The last siege of Dryslwyn Castle, Carmarthen, V.G. Lodwick & Sons Ltd. (1982) 120 p., ill., maps, plans, genealogical tables.

Thomas, G. Harvey . Capel Dewi and Neighbourhood. Carmarthenshire County Council (2000) 264p. ISBN 090 6821533. It is a very extensive and well-illustrated compilation of material - naming lots of people

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;



Apprenticeship in Carmarthenshire. Two entries from the Llanarthney parish Vestry Book 1799-1807, originally from the "Transactions of the Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society" , transcribed 1913 by Geo. Eyre Evans, which is held at Carmarthen Archives. Dyfed FHS journal Vol 5/7 August 1996

Blaenhirwaun Colliery, Cefneithin on the Welsh Coal Mines site

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Social Life and Customs

Jones Thomas, W. My childhood at Llanarthney, [Carmarthen], Cultural Services Dept., Dyfed County Council (1985) 74 p., [10] leaves of plates: p., ill., 1 coat of arms, ports.
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks:  22 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.