"LLANBOIDY (LLAN-BEADY), a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (N.W. by W.) from St. Clear's; comprising the Upper and Lower divisions, and containing 1789 inhabitants. This parish, situated on the turn-pike road leading from Narberth to St. Clear's and Newcastle-Emlyn, extends nearly nine miles from north to south, and five in a transverse direction, and contains, in rich meadow and arable land, 10,666 a, 3 r. 7 p. . . among the gentlemen's seats in the neighbourhood, Maes Gwyn, an elegant modern mansion, Glynt‚f, and Nant-yr-Eglwys, are the most conspicuous. The parish contains iron-ore, which is found in considerable quantity; and the springs in the various parts of it are strongly impregnated with that mineral. . . A fair is held annually in the village on September 18th. The living is a discharged vicarage. . . In the hamlet of Regwm, in the parish, is a chapel dedicated to St. David. . . [and] there was the residence of the famous prince and legislator, Hywel Dda." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Davies, Ben Rev. Cofiant Tomos Llanboidy. Gwasg Gomer, 1953.
LLANBOIDY, St. Brynach 1844-1847 - on the Church plans online site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).
Evans, Eddie. Llanboidy: Hanes Plwyf, Pentref a Chapel; Cultural Services Section, Carmarthenshire CC., Dec 2001.This Welsh language book mainly describes the history of Trinity Chapel at Llanboidy, which celebrated its bi-centenary in 2000. Outlines the history of the village and parish, especially after the chapel was founded in 1800.
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Boydy
William Gordon Owen, William Denley Owen. Canmlwyddiant Cefnypant, 1878-1978: crynodeb o hanes eglwys Annibynnol Cefnypant ar achlysur dathlu canmlwyddiant y capel, (Aberteifi, 1979), p.
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the PR began in 1694
Parish registers: Christenings (1748/9-1992) Marriages (1748-1970) Burials (1748-1991) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.
Copy ts PR index C (1813-75) at NLW
An index of Parish register Baptisms 1813-1875 has been produced by Dyfed FHS
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1672, 1679, 1681-4, 1687, 1690-1, 1694-9, ?1703, 1707-8, 1711, 1714-20, 1722, 1724-56, 1758-74, 1776-8, 1780-91, 1794-5, 1798, 1802, 1804, 1806-9, 1811-13, 1815, 1817-41, 1843-4, 1849, 1852, 1776-8, 1780-91, 1794-5, 1798, 1802, 1804, 1806-9, 1864-6) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanboidy as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Lynne Kleingertner)
Xavier, Dilys. WILLIAMS of Llanboidy, CMN. Dyfed FHS journal. 1998 . From privateers, to Jamaica, to Carmarthenshire, a tale is told and a connection to the author's ancestors is implied but not yet proven.
Istance, Jean. Llanboidy to Aberdare-1851. [Jonah Evans 1834+, inc. Aberdare census extracts]. Dyfed FHS journal Vol 6/3 April 1998, p111-114
Clwb Tynnu Rhaff Llanboidy. Hanes Clwb Tynnu Rhaf Llanboidy: 1969-1994 (History of Llanboidy Tug of War Club) LLanboidy: Clwb Tynnu Rhaff Llanboidy, 1994. p: ill, ports; 21cm.
Lewis, T.E., Jones, J.T. and Lewis, H. Local heritage from Efailwen to Whitland: comprising the history of the parishes of Climaenllwyd, Hellanfallteg, Llanboidy, Llandysilio, Llanddewi Velfrey, Whitland (2 vols), Clunderwen, The Author (1976) [ISBN: 0902126059 (v. 2)] p.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish
Documents at the National Library of Wales:
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Bosworth, Nicki. Llanboidy in 1840 (and earlier). Dyfed FHS journal vol 9/2 April 2006.
The article has the names of a number of Llanboidy properties, plus tenants names, which are contained in the 1840 marriage settlement documents of Walter Rice Howell Powell of Maesgwynne, Llanboidy.
[Gareth Hicks; 20 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date