Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Llanboidy in 1840 (and earlier)

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llanboidy in 1840 (and earlier)

Miss Nikki Bosworth, Archivist at Pembrokeshire Record Office, orginally produced the article below for the Dyfed FHS journal, it is reproduced here with her kind permission.


At the Pembrokeshire Record Office in Haverfordwest - amongst the papers of Eaton Evans, solicitors - there is a copy of the marriage settlement of Walter Rice Howell Powell of Maesgwynne, Llanboidy, Carmarthenshire, and Miss Emily Anne Skrine, second daughter of Henry Skrine of Stubbings, Bisham, Berkshire.
The document is dated 30th April 1840.

The marriage settlement lists, in detail, a large number of properties in the parish of Llanboidy.
The information includes not ony the names of tenants in 1840 but also those of previous tenants. In some cases, occupations and relationships to other people are given.

 

  • Buttland - formerly in the tenure of David Sampson but now of James Lewis and Jonah Owen
  • Penllwyngware - formerly in the tenure of Morris Phillip but now of Benjamin Thomas
  • Garnfawr or Pengarnfawr - formerly in the tenure of John Evans but now of Thomas Evans, with a cottage in the tenure of Benjamin Evans
  • Pensarn and Rhosfach - formerly in the tenure of John Phillip but now of John Evans and George Howell
  • Pensarn Quarries - in the tenure of David Twyning, the trustees of the Whitland Turnpike Trust and the surveyor of the highways in the parish of Llanboidy
  • The Swan - formerly in the tenure of John Evans but now of Thomas Evans
  • Cottages - in the tenure of John Thomas tailor, Philip Phillips, Rees Thomas and another
  • The steps leading to a storehouse - property of the late Benjamin Lewis
  • Fields known as Parkybont (or Parkypound), Parkyllain and Parkllawrbont (or Park Llanboidy) - formerly in the tenure of Benjamin Marks but now of William Evans and Mary Evan
  • Field known as Parkycastell (or Parkycastell Mawr) - formerly in the tenure of John Wheeler but now of Thomas Davies
  • Maesgwynne - formerly in the tenure of Walter Powell, since of Walter Rice Howell Powell and his son Walter Rice Howell Powell
  • Upper and Lower Llwyndewy - formerly in the tenure of Thomas Waters but now of Margaret Richards
  • Ddolgobe - formerly in the tenure of Rees Edwards but now of Ann Phillips
  • Ddol - formerly in the tenure of William Thomas but now of his daughter Margaret Thomas
  • White Hart (now the Lamb Inn) - formerly in the tenure of Benjamin Lewis and now of Mary Evan
  • Blaencwmpalle - formerly in the tenure of Thomas David but now of Theophilus Gibbon - with cottages in the tenure of Theophilus William, David William and Thomas Edwards, gamekeeper
  • Cilnowen - in the tenure of John Hughes
  • Foxhole - in the tenure of Margaret Howell
  • Maesgwynne Issa and Blaencwmme - formerly in the tenure of Rees Thomas and Elizabeth Thomas, but now of Josiah John, George Howell, Thomas Gibbon and John Morgan
  • Tygwynne - in the tenure of Jason Thomas and William Williams
  • Maesgwynne Meadow - formerly in the tenure of Rees Phillip but now of Walter Rice Howell Powell
  • Cottage - formerly in the tenure of Margaret Phillips but now of her son Theophilus Phillips
  • Storehouse - formerly in the tenure of Lewis John maltster, since of the late Benjamin Lewis
  • Llaine Minon - in the tenure of Benjamin Lewis shoemaker
  • Cottages - in the occupation of Henry Jenkins, James Phillips and John Davies carpenter
  • East Gate - formerly in the tenure of Mary Thomas but now of Thomas Evans
  • House - late in the tenure of Mr Jason Thomas surgeon, since of William Thomas and now vacant
  • Cottage - late in the tenure of Walter Howell, formerly part of a garden occupied by Jonah Evan
  • Land lying between the storehouse formerly owned by Walter Rice Howell of Carmarthen, attorney, and the house belonging to Colonel Philipps of Williamstone
  • Cottage and land at Kevenbralle - formerly in the tenure of Margaret Edwards, since of John John and Benjamin Howell
  • Ffrowen or Dyffryn Towell - formerly in the tenure of Rees Edwards gent but now of John Phillips
  • Messuage - formerly in the tenure of William Evans but now of David Evans
  • Llantharwell or Vrowen - formerly in the tenure of Thomas Howell, since of Thomas Thomas and now of John Thomas farmer and his wife Hannah
  • House - in the tenure of Mr John Thomas surgeon
  • House - in the tenure of John Hughes
  • Cottages - in the tenure of David William mason and Thomas Jenkins
  • Castelldrainog - formerly in the tenure of Thomas Richards and now of William John.

In addition the marriage settlement lists tenants of properties in Llangan, Henllan Amgoed, St Clears and Llanfyrnach. The document can be seen at the Pembrokeshire Record Office under the reference D/EE/32/72

 

Nikki Bosworth
Pembrokeshire Record Office