Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Llandawke

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llandawke

"LLANDAWKE (LLAN-DAWK), a parish, in the higher division of the hundred of DERLLYS, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 1 mile (W. by N.) from Laugharne; containing 26 inhabitants. This parish, situated on the road from Laugharne to Tenby, and mostly surrounded by the parishes of Laugharne and Llansadwrnen, comprises by computation about 600 acres, of which 100 are woodland, and of the remainder two-thirds are arable, and one third pasture; the surface is rather hilly, and the nature of the soil clay; the chief agricultural produce is wheat and barley, and the timber grown, principally larch and Scotch fir; it consists only of two farms. . . The church, dedicated to St. Margaret Marlos, is not distinguished by any architectural features of importance; it is a very small building, 33 feet in length and 17 in breadth, and with the exception of two pews, the sittings are all free." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llandawke area or see them printed on a map.

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llandawcke Parish Church David Thomas, Rector

Parish entry for Llandawke with Pendine and Marros from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).

  • St Margaret, Marloes & Parish Church (Pendine) & St Lawrence (Marros)
  • Incumbent and Curates; H R Charles
  • Rural Deanery of St Clears
  • Acreage 971 & 610 & 2,344 ; Population 203 & --- & 104

Llandawke Church - on the Geograph.org site

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Dawc

    Church Records

    Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

    Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the PR went back to 1754

    Parish registers: Christenings (1771-1812, 1832-1963), Marriages (1771-1812, 1815-29, 1846-1958) and Burials (1771-1812, 1822-1962) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

    Copy ts PR index (1771-1875) at Carm.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts are to be found with those for Pendine at the National Library of Wales.

    An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

    Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    No non-conformist chapels found in this parish

    Description and Travel

    The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

    • Area 613 acres; Population 16 males, 21 females, total 37

    Places, villages, farms etc within Llandawke as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

    • Llandawke (64); .......... no entries

      You can see pictures of Llandawke which are provided by:

      Historical Geography

      You can see the administrative areas in which Llandawke has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

      Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llandawke to another place.

      History

      Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). With the kind permission of the publishers sundry extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see below for this parish.
      • History of the Church in the County
        • Puritan domination, a period of depression; "........in addition to the commissioners, twenty five Puritan ministers, or 'approvers' , were selected......these 'approvers, or any five of them, were responsible for the filling of the churches ordered vacant by the Commissioners. Carmarthenshire again had not a single representative among the approvers. The clergy were ejected from the following parishes............. Llandawke etc...."
      • Prehistoric and Roman Times
        • Early Bronze Age; Examples of perforated stone axe-hammers found in Wales includes one at ;
          • Parc Diflas, Llandawke parish.
      • Prehistoric and Roman Times
        • List of Carmarthenshire Megaliths, includes following standing stones;
          • Maen Hir, Llandawke
      • The Age of the Native Princes
        • The Early Church --- Rise of the Kingdom of Deheubarth
          • "No vestige remains of any ecclesiastical building erected during this period (400-1282)......the abundance of wood led to the neglect of the use of stone for this purpose............but stone was used.......setting up memorials to the dead...........these are found in association with many sacred sites in Carmarthenshire........indicate places of Christian interment as early as the sixth century............... Ogam inscriptions have come to light at Llandawke........etc......"
      • Prehistoric and Roman Times
        • Middle and Late Bronze Age; Record of pottery (possibly Bronze Age) found in the county with no reference to a known barrow;
          • "Pot with bones in it, Llandawke House"

      Land and Property

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Llan-dawg estate 1784-1920 "The Edwardes family owned extensive lands in Pembrokeshire (including Skomer Island, Midland, Grassholm and Gateholm islands), in Carmarthenshire (including Castell Llwyd, Llan-dawgand Westmead in the Laugharne area), and the Neuadd estate in the parish of Llanarth, Cardiganshire.............."

      Public Records

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Llansadyrnin and Llan-dawg Parish Council Records "Records of Llansadyrnin and Llandawg Parish Council, Carmarthenshire, 1852-1935, including minute books, 1894-1935; and poor rate books, 1852-1920........"