We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANDAROG (LLAN-DDAROG), a parish in the hundred of ISCENNEN, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Carmarthen; containing 1047 inhabitants. The village occupies a bleak and unsheltered situation on the turn-pike road from Carmarthen to Swansea, and commands an extensive prospect . . . Through the parish passes a continuous ridge of limestone, which is burnt in considerable quantities into manure for the supply of the neighbourhood. . . . The church, dedicated to St. Twrog, is a large edifice, internally well arranged, and appropriately fitted up for the accommodation of the parishioners. There was formerly a chapel of ease in the parish, of which there are still some slight remains, called St. Bernard's; it has been in ruins for nearly two centuries. The Baptists, Independents, and Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, have places of worship; and there are three Sunday schools connected with the dissenters, and conducted gratuitously, in which 250 children are taught." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Monumental inscriptions for Caersalem Chapel, Pontyberem (Old Cemetery), are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Church History

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Twrog's Church

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llanddarog Parish Church                James Whitworth, Curate, Llannon, nr Llanelly
  • Capel Newydd  CM           Erected in 1795    Also used as a Day school       Richard Jones, Elder, Lodge, Llanddarog
  • Bethlehem, Porthyrhyd    Baptist        Erected in 1817, re-erected 1842            Henry Davies, Deacon, Wernfraith, Llanddarog
  • Soar  CM               Erected in 1834       "The cause was established in this district in 1776"     Moses Gelly, Diacon, Manachlog
  • Chappel Sion    Ind                 Erected before 1800                  John Anfield, Secretary

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Twrog
  • Incumbent and Curates; J Phillips
  • Rural Deanery of  Llandilo
  • Acreage 4,551 ; Population 1,570

Evans, Gwilym. Capel Seion, Drefach, Llanelli, 1712-1980, (Abertawe, 1981), 54p.

Hewitt, T. Trem yn ôl: hanes yr achos a blaenoriaid crefyddol Pontyberem, 1742-1933, (Llanelli, 1934) 59p.

Hanes ac atgofion aelodau am Gapel Newydd Llanddarog ar achlysur dathlu daucanmlwyddiant yr achos 1795-1995. [Llanddarog]: [Capel Newydd], 1995. [62]p: ill, ports; 22cm.

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1736-1869), Marriages (1736-1919) and Burials (1736-1944) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1736-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1671-2, 1677-9, 1681-7, 1690, 1693-7, 1701-3, 1705, 1707, 1713, 1716-22, 1726-30, 1732-80, 1782-4, 1786-93, 1796-1800, 1802-41, 1843-65, 1867, 1869-70, 1872) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1736-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 18 - Iscennin Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Bethlehem (Baptist, c1795), Porthyrhyd              Records with those of Soar (Llandybie) and Penuel (Carmarthen)        SN52071579        Built in 1817 (1823?) & rebuilt in 1842/3   Coflein 
  • Capel Newydd / Sion (Calvinistic Methodist, 1795), Llanddarog village    Births and baptisms (1815-36) PRO RG4/3862 (referred to as Sion Chapel), LDS 828108, IGI         On Dyfed FHS             Capel Newydd Llanddarog  CM chapel  - still open in 2006
  • Soar (Calvinistic Methodist, 1742), Pontyberem (but just within Llanddarog parish)      Births and baptisms (1811-37) PRO RG4/3862, LDS 828108, IGI           SN50111136    Built in 1834 and rebuilt in 1903     Coflein                       Soar,  Heol Mynachlog, Pontyberem CM chapel - still open in 2006
  • Capel Seion (Independent, 1712), Dre-fach                   Records with those of Pantteg (Abergwili) and Mynyddbach (Llangyfelach, Glamorgan)                  SN51781317   Built 1712, enlarged 1814, rebuilt 1878.     Coflein                                   Capel Seion Ind chapel, Drefach shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches),4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - translated by Eleri Rowlands (Oct 2008)

Held at Carmarthen Archives;

  • Baptisms at Capel Newydd, Llanddarog 1815-1915.

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Capel Newydd Llanddarog, cofysgrifau (records) 1855-1997      "Sefydlwyd yr achos yn Llanddarog yn 1795, sef blwyddyn codi'r capel cyntaf. Ailadeiladwyd capel ym 1848, ac fe adnewyddwyd hwnnw ym 1903 ac 1949 ......."

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanddarog which are provided by:

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 4501 acres; Population 500 males, 536 females, total 1036

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanddarog  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llanddarog (76); Afon Berem; Banc-tai-newydd; Clos-isaf; Coll.; Cwm-isfael; Cwrt; Dre-fach (village - part); Garn-ffrwd; Garn-llwyd; Garn-wen; Gelli-ddu; Glan-yr-ynys; Gors; Gwendraeth Fach; Lan; Llanddarog (village); Llethr-llestri; Llwyn; Maes-y-coed; Mill (2); Mynydd Cerig; Pant-y-llan; Pant-y-pwll; Pen-lan; Porth-y-rhyd (village); Tir-bach; Wern; White Hall

Emigration and Immigration

Aubrey, John. Moses and Rachel Harry from "Sir Gar" to Aotearoa.[New Zealand]. Dyfed FHS journal Vol 6/7, Aug 1999, p 272-278. The CMN parishes involved are Llanelli, Llangennech,and  Llanddarog.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanddarog has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Hodge, Vincent J. The history of Llanddarog village and parish. Carmarthen: Vincent J. Hodge, 1994. [46]p: ill, facsims, map, ports; 22cm.

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanddarog Deeds 1821 July 30 - 1869 October 16     "Material comprises deeds relating to property at Cwrt y Draenog, Pant y Meillion and Eithin Bach in the Carmarthenshire parishes of Llanddarog, Llandybïe and Llanarthne respectively, and in the parish of Abergwili. The collection features property held in these areas by the Morgan family of Glan yr Ynys, Llanddarog"


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN503166 (Lat/Lon: 51.827864, -4.173810), Llanddarog which are provided by:

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanddarog Parish Council Records  1883-1943 (accumulated 1894-1943)

[Gareth Hicks: 22 Dec 2012]