GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents

 

LLANDDAROG

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"LLANDAROG (LLAN-DDAROG), a parish in the hundred of ISCENNEN, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Carmarthen; containing 1047 inhabitants. The village occupies a bleak and unsheltered situation on the turn-pike road from Carmarthen to Swansea, and commands an extensive prospect . . . Through the parish passes a continuous ridge of limestone, which is burnt in considerable quantities into manure for the supply of the neighbourhood. . . . The church, dedicated to St. Twrog, is a large edifice, internally well arranged, and appropriately fitted up for the accommodation of the parishioners. There was formerly a chapel of ease in the parish, of which there are still some slight remains, called St. Bernard's; it has been in ruins for nearly two centuries. The Baptists, Independents, and Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, have places of worship; and there are three Sunday schools connected with the dissenters, and conducted gratuitously, in which 250 children are taught." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Cemeteries

Monumental inscriptions for Caersalem Chapel, Pontyberem (Old Cemetery), are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Church History

LLANDDAROG, St. Twrog  1853-1856    - on the Church plans online site

PONTYBEREM, St. John   1892-1894  - on the Church plans online site

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Twrog's Church

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

 

Evans, Gwilym. Capel Seion, Drefach, Llanelli, 1712-1980, (Abertawe, 1981), 54p.

Hewitt, T. Trem yn ˘l: hanes yr achos a blaenoriaid crefyddol Pontyberem, 1742-1933, (Llanelli, 1934) 59p.

Hanes ac atgofion aelodau am Gapel Newydd Llanddarog ar achlysur dathlu daucanmlwyddiant yr achos 1795-1995. [Llanddarog]: [Capel Newydd], 1995. [62]p: ill, ports; 22cm.

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1736-1869), Marriages (1736-1919) and Burials (1736-1944) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1736-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1671-2, 1677-9, 1681-7, 1690, 1693-7, 1701-3, 1705, 1707, 1713, 1716-22, 1726-30, 1732-80, 1782-4, 1786-93, 1796-1800, 1802-41, 1843-65, 1867, 1869-70, 1872) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1736-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 18 - Iscennin Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Held at Carmarthen Archives;

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanddarog  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

Emigration and Immigration

Aubrey, John. Moses and Rachel Harry from "Sir Gar" to Aotearoa.[New Zealand]. Dyfed FHS journal Vol 6/7, Aug 1999, p 272-278. The CMN parishes involved are Llanelli, Llangennech,and  Llanddarog.

History

Hodge, Vincent J. The history of Llanddarog village and parish. Carmarthen: Vincent J. Hodge, 1994. [46]p: ill, facsims, map, ports; 22cm.

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 22 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright ę GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.