GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents

 

LLANDDEUSANT

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"LLANTHOYSAINT (LLAN-Y-DDEU-SANT), a parish, in the union of LLANDOVERY, lower division of the hundred of PERVERTH, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S.E. by E.) from Llangadock; comprising the hamlets of Blaen-Sawdde with Maes-y-Fynnon, and Quarter Mawr with Gwydre, and containing 942 inhabitants. . . It comprises 11,510 acres, of which 7307 are cultivated, and 4203 uninclosed mountainous land, over which the inhabitants have a right of pasturage and turbary. The surrounding scenery is strikingly diversified, combining features of picturesque and rural beauty with objects of bold and romantic grandeur. That part of the Black Mountain which is within the parish forms the loftiest elevation in the county . . . The church, dedicated to St. Simon and St. Jude, is inconveniently situated at the eastern extremity of the parish, at the foot of the Black Mountain . . . A fair is held annually in the village on the 10th of October. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Llangadock. . . There is a meeting-house for Calvinistic Methodists, who have also five Sunday schools, in which 620 males and females are taught gratuitously; and there is a day school, in which 60 children are instructed at the expense of their parents." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

At Carmarthen Archives;

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

PR prior to 1813 were reported in 1831 to have been 'partially destroyed by fire', leaving only a few very imperfect loose leaves (1784-1809) then extant and now apparently lost. Diocesan records suggest that c1790 there was a PR here going back 40 years.

Parish registers: Christenings (1816-1980), Marriages (1813-1924), Banns (1824-1966) and Burials (1816-81) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office, with fac C (1816-1980) at NLW

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1677-8, 1681-7, 1690, 1693, 1697-9, 1702-3, 1707, 1716, 1719, 1721, 1724-8, 1730-1, 1735-6, 1738-40, 1742, 1744-51, 1753-80, 1782-3, 1785-1800, 1802-6, 1809-12, 1814-67, 1871) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 21 - Perfedd Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanddeusant parishas shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

Genealogy

Carmarthenshire Families

 

Evans, T.O. Roots and branches: a geneaology [sic.] of some of the older families of the parishes of Llanddeusant and Llywel[Bre], Aberhonddu ,T.O. Evans (1988) 192 p., maps.The named families are Evan, Morgans, Lewis, Williams, George, Price, Llewelly and David. Also available on Cd from (Archive CD Books), 2003.

History

Jones, G.  The Springboard or Tom Evans Revisited.   Dyfed FHS journal Vol7/6 Dec 2001. Based on the book by Tom Evans 'Roots and Branches' (1988) described as a genealogy of some of the old families of  Llanddeusant, Llywel and neighbouring parishes. This article features the Rev. Timothy Davies (1802-62), son of the curate of Llanddeusant.

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Land and Property

Documents at the National Library of Wales:

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

 

Beckley, Susan. The Blaensawdde estate maps. Sir Gar (1991), p. 37-42

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks : 18 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.