We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANDOWROR, a parish, in the higher division of the hundred of DERLLYS, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (W.S.W.) from St. Clear's, on the road from Carmarthen to Haverfordwest; containing 391 inhabitants. . . The lands are partly inclosed and cultivated, and a considerable portion is covered with underwood; the surrounding scenery is pleasing . . . Within the limits of the parish is one of the finest quarries in the county, producing stone of excellent quality for building, and the working of which affords employment to such of the labouring inhabitants as are not engaged in agriculture. A new line of road, constructed to avoid the steep ascent of Llandowror hill to Tavarn 'Spytty, on the border of Pembrokeshire, was completed in 1830, and extends from the village of Llandowror, until it joins the road to Milford, considerably south of the former. . . The church is dedicated to St. Cringat. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


Griffith Jones, Llanddowror - on Wikipedia

Griffith Jones, Llanddowror - on the Porth Junior School site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Griffith Jones, Llanddowror Documents     "A volume of the sermons of Griffith Jones, in an early 19th century hand. The inscription at the end of the book suggests that the creator was a Rev. Jacob Hughes of Llanrhian, Pembrokeshire.
    A biography of Griffith Jones and his influence on Wales. Presented in a Literary Competition in 1880, possibly by John Williams of Pen-Lan, Llandegai."

Davies, G. Griffith Jones, Llanddowror: athro cenedl, Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr, Morgannwg Ganol, Gwasg Efengylaidd Cymru (1984) 120 p., ill. [ISBN: 1850490015]

Jenkins, Geraint H.  'An old and much honoured soldier': Griffith Jones, Llanddowror   (NLW's site)   Welsh History Review 11

Jenkins, R.T. Gruffydd Jones, Llanddowror, 1683-1761, Caerdydd, [Wales], Gwasg Prifysgol Cymru (1930) 57, [5] p., ill., facsim., map. p.

Jones, D. Life and times of Griffith Jones, sometime rector of Llanddowror. Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, Ireland, Tentmaker Publications (1995) 200 p. [ISBN: 1899003134] [Reprint. Originally published: London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1902].It is a general history of the movement, and doesn't mention specific locations of any of the schools. Here is a brief extract.

Jones, D.Ambrose. Griffith Jones: Llanddowror, Wrecsam, Hughes a'i Fab (1923) 176 p.

Kelly, T. Griffith Jones, Llanddowror, pioneer in adult education, Cardiff, UWP (1950) 56 p.

Morgan, J. Four biographical sketches: Bishop Ollivant, Bishop Thirlwall, Rev. Griffith Jones, Vicar of Llanddowror, and Sir Thomas Phillips, Q.C.: with a chapter on 'The Church in Wales', London, Elliot Stock (1892) 206 p.

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llandowror Parish Church           Evan Rowland Thomas, Curate, Mount Pleasant, St Clears
  • Tabernacle, Landowror village    CM    Erected in 1796           Thomas Morgan, Deacon, Llandowror

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Ddowror

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Teilo
  • Incumbent and Curates; J Lambert Rees
  • Rural Deanery of  St Clears
  • Acreage 1,768 ; Population 194

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the earliest PR went back to 1694. No mention of PR M (1813-37) in 1933 survey

Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1726-1979), Marriages (1726-1812, 1837-1969) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Facsimile Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1813-1957) are at the National Library of Wales.

Copy ts PR index  CB (1813-75) M (1728-84, 1837-75) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1671-2, 1677-9, 1681-4, 1686-7, 1698-9, 1708, 1713, 1717-18, 1720-2, 1724-30, 1732-6, 1738, 1740-51, 1759-1800, 1802-6, 1808, 1810-35, 1837-42, 1844-56) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1720-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Tabernacle (Calvinistic Methodist, 1797), Llanddowror village               Births and baptisms (1807-37) PRO RG4/3831, LDS 828108, IGI                      On Dyfed FHS
  • Elim Ind chapel, Llanddowror         (See under Eglwyscummin parish)        

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanddowror which are provided by:

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 1783 acres; Population 200 males, 203 females, total 403

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanddowror as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llanddowror (57); Afon Taf; Cil-dywyll; Cnyciau; Cwm; Llanddowror (village); Maes-y-lan; Parciau; Pentre Howell; Pen-y-lan; Picton Ho.; Vaynor

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanddowror has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Celtic carved stones at Llanddowror - on the Cistercian Way site

Llanddowror War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN255145 (Lat/Lon: 51.801803, -4.532288), Llanddowror which are provided by:

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanddowror Parish Council Records  1845-1980 (accumulated 1894-1980)


[Gareth Hicks : 20 Dec 2012]