Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Llandefaelog

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llandefaelog

"LLANDEVEYLOG (LLAN-DYFAELOG), a parish, in the hundred of Kidwelly, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S.S.E.) from Carmarthen; containing 1303 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the navigable river Towy, by which it is bounded on the west; and contains a large tract of fertile land, the whole, with a very trifling exception, is inclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is richly varied, and that portion of the parish situated between the turnpike-road from Carmarthen to Kidwelly, which passes close to the village, and the river Towy, is not inferior, for the variety and beauty of its scenery, to any district in this part of the principality. . . There is an ancient weir for taking salmon and sewin, attached to the Plâs Gwyn estate. Several good family residences are situated within the limits of the parish, but most of them have been deserted by their proprietors, and converted into farm-houses. . . The church, dedicated to St. Maelog, the reputed founder, is of great antiquity, and of a very irregular form, differing as to structure from the generality of parochial churches. There are places of worship for Welsh Methodists, Independents, and Unitarians, of whom the first assemble for divine worship in an ancient edifice, formerly a chapel of ease to the mother church . . . About 60 children of both sexes are instructed in two day schools, at the expense of their parents; and there are five Sunday schools . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llandefaelog area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llandefeilog Parish Church           "As English is always performed on the last Sunday in the month at Llandefeilog Church in the morning, the Welsh who do not understand the Language do not attend, which was the case that so few attended March 30 1851"                Daniel Jones, Vicar, Cwmafel
  • Rama    Ind          Erected in 1841            John Rees, Deacon, Placegwyn
  • Penygraig   Ind      Erected before 1750     Chapel rebuilt twice since 1810       David Gravell, Elder, Cwmfelin
  • Llangenheiddon Chapel    CM               Erected in 1824    John Evans, Deacon, Penymaes
  • Llandeveilog Chapel, village      CM           Erected before 1800, enlarged in 1820, enlarge in 1846   David Humphreys, Nantyllan

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Tyfaelog
  • &
  • Cwmffrwd St Anne
  • Incumbent and Curates; J J Davies (T C Jones)
  • Rural Deanery of  Kidwelly
  • Acreage 8,622 ; Population  1,013

Francis, Gwyn. Hanes Eglwys Annibynnol Rama, ger Caerfyrddin 1842-1992. Llandyfaelog: Rama, Llandyfaelog, 1992. 32p: ill, ports; 21cm.

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1695-1966), Marriages (1695-1805, 1808-1970), Banns (1808-12, 1882, 1884, 1900-94) and Cwm-ffrwd Marriages (1877-1970) , Burials (1695-1911) are at the National Library of Wales with copies [except Banns] at Carm.RO

Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1695-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1672, 1679-80, 1684-8, 1690-1, 1693-4, 1697-1704, 1707-14, 1717-51, 1753-66, 1768-99, 1802-52, 1854-62) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 16 - Kidwelly Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989).

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Ebenezer (Baptist, c1850), Coed-y-brain           SN41031050     Built 1867     Coflein  
  •  
  • Bancycapel (Calvinistic Methodist, c1830), Cwmffrwd            SN42981504        Built 1834, rebuilt/modified 1844 & 1869   Coflein                    Banc y Capel CM chapel - still open in 2006
  • Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist, c1755), Llandyfaelog village                 SN41581180       Built c 1800 & enlarged 1820, rebuilt/modified 1844/6 & 1905.    Still open 1977    Coflein
  •  
  • Penygraig (Independent, c1742), Penygraig            Baptisms (1819-65) NLW Ms 1212E, LDS 104504/8                SN41291663   Built before 1750, rebuilt 1831 and possibly again in 1851. Rebuilt or modified in 1890.  Still open 1998       Coflein             Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Nov 2008)
  • Ramah (Independent, bef 1819), Llwynhelyg / Scyborfach         Records with those of Penygraig, and Capel Sul (Kidwelly)             SN41271398    Built 1841, enlarged 1845 & rebuilt/modified 1871     Coflein              Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Nov 2008)

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 7320 acres; Population 621 males, 700 females, total 1321

Places, villages, farms etc within Llandefaelog  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llandefeilog (78); Aber-Cyfor; Banc-y-capel; Bryn-coch; Cil-feithy; Cil gadan; Cil-y-march; Cloigyn-fawr; Coed; Coed-y-brain; Croes-y-ceiliog; Crugan-fawr; Cwm-Bwry; Cwm-ffrwd; Fforest; Gelli; Gelli-ddu; Gelli-deg; Glan-rhydw; Gwendraeth Fach (river); Idole; Is Coed-uchaf; Lan Ho; Llandefeilog (village); Llwyn-celyn; Llwyn-helyg; Llwyn-y-filldir; Moelfre; Nant Cwm-ffrwd; Nant Pibwr; Oaklands; Parr's Castle; Pen-y-fedw; Pen-y-maes; Pentre-poeth; Pibwr-wen; Pistyll; Plas-gwyn; Plas-y-wenallt; Towy Castle; Upland; Wenallt; Wern; Ystrad-fawr; Ystrad-ferthyr
You can see pictures of Llandefaelog which are provided by:

Genealogy

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Brigstocke Family Papers 1735-1965;  and Brigstocke (W. Evans George) Estate Papers 1662-1895; and W. Evans George and Sons (Solicitors) Collection of Brigstocke family deeds 1496-1922;        "The original residence of the Brigstocke family in Wales was Llechdwnni in the parish of Llandefaelog......................."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llandefaelog has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

History

History of Llandyfaelog, Carmarthenshire, Author Unknown. [Listed in Rawlins]

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN415118 (Lat/Lon: 51.782313, -4.299208), Llandefaelog which are provided by:

Public Records

Held at Carmarthen Archives;

  • Llandyfaelog parish council records C19 & C20.

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llandyfaelog Parish Council records 1782-1956 (accumulated 1894-1956)         ".......including vestry books, 1782-1919; Parish Council minute books, 1894-1948; records relating to the Poor rate, 1839-1926; .............."

Schools

Davies, J. Douglas. A brief history of Llandyfaelog School: talfyriad o'i hanes. [Llandyfaelog]: [Llandyfaelog V.C.P. School?], 1998. 37p: ill(some col), facsim, ports; 21cm.

[Gareth Hicks: 22 Dec 2012]