We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Kelly's Directory for South Wales, 1923


The information  below relating to Cwmamman was extracted  by Gareth Hicks with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)

In case anyone wonders about the the quality of the transcribing, some quaint original spellings are kept but it is obvious what places referred to

CWMAMMAN is a civil parish and Urban District, formed by Local Government Board Order No. 57,696, which came into operation April 1st, 1912. The parish is governed by an Urban District Council of 15 members. It is in the Llanelly division of the county of Carmarthen, hundred of Iscennen, Amman Valley petty sessional division, Llandilo Fawr union, county court district and rural deanery of Llandilo, archdeaconry of Carmarthen and diocese of St. David's.

The parish is divided into two postal districts, Glanamman and Garnant, both of which places have a station on the Pantyffynnon branch of the Great Western railway. Glanamman is 12 miles south-east from Llandilo and 15 1/2 north-east from Llanelly, and Garnant 13 miles south-east from Llandilo and 16 1/2 north-east from Llanelly.

The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1843 from Bettwys, Llandilo Rural and Llanbedie parishes in Carmarthenshire, and Llangiwg in Glamorganshire : the church is a plain edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, and a turret containing one bell: there are two stained glass windows, one on the east side and the other on the north, the latter having been erected to the memory of the Rev. E. A. Davies, vicar to 1910 : in the church is a marble memorial tablet bearing the names of the men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914 - 18: the church was restored in 1878 at a cost of £505, and again in 1892, at a cost of £100, and affords 545 sittings. The register dates from the year 1843. The living is a vicarage, net income £400. with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's and the Board of Patronage, and held since 1910 by the Rev. William Williams B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter, who resides at the vicarage at Garnant. There are mission churches at Glanamman, Teairgwaith and Cwmgorse. The Baptists, Calvinistic Methodists and, the Welsh Congregationalists have two places of worship each. Bethel Congregational chapel, at Glanamman, has 850 sittings. The Baptist chapel at Glanamman was erected in 1844. and seats 450.

There are coal mines in the parish, and tinplate and galvanized iron sheets are manufactured.

The principal landowners are Lord Dynevor D.L., J.P. Lady Howard Stepney J.P. and A. P. Saunders Davies esq. D.L., J.P.

The area is 756 acres ; rateable value, £12,322 ; population of the civil parish and Urban District in 1911 was 4,971 and in 1921, 5,304; the population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1911 was 11,611.

Post, M. O., T. & '1'. E. D. Office, Garnant (letters should be addressed Garnant, Carmarthenshire). - David Ernest Thomas, sub-postmaster

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Glanamman (letters should he addressed Glanamman, Carmarthenshire).  - John Phillips, sub-postmaster



Meetings are held at New Bettel vestry, Glanamman, on the last wednesday of each month, at 7 p.m.

  • Chairman, Arthur Williams.
  • Vice-Chairman, John Jones.

Retire March, 1924.

  • Robert Edwards  
  • L. Savory
  • John Jones      
  • Thomas Thomas
  • Rhys Roberts

Retire March, 1925.

  • David Davies    
  • David Thomas
  • Thomas Hardy    
  • John Thomas
  • William Owen

Retire March, 1926.

  • Thomas Norris J.P       
  • John Thomas
  • Rees Oswald Rees        
  • Arthur Williams
  • William Roberts


  • Clerk, William Martin Knoyle., Commercial buildings, Glanamman
  • Treasurer, Owen Rowland Evans, Ammanford
  • Medical Officer of Health, George Evan Jones L.R.C.P., L.R.C.S.Edin., L.R.F.P..S.Glas. Brynteg, Garnant
  • Surveyor, Gilbert Howel Davies, Garnant
  • Inspector of Nuisances, J. O. Parry
  • Collector, John Phillips, Post office, Glanamman
  • County Police, William Richards, sergt. & 2 constables

Public Elementary Schools.

  • Glanamman (mixed & infants), for 549 children ; Thos.Thomas, master ; Miss A. G. Davies, infants' mistress
  • Garnant (mixed), for 450 children; William Owen,master; Miss Rachael Jenkins, mistress ; Rev. Wm.Williams B.A. correspondent
  • Garnant (Council) (mixed & infants), for 510 children; John T. Edwards, master ; Miss S. E. Jones, mistress

Railway Stations.

  • Glanamman (G. W. Rly.), Benj. Thomas, station master
  • Garnant (G. W. Rly.), Ivor Phillips, station master



  • Beanland Henry
  • Davies Maj. Gilbert Howel M.C. Garnant villas
  • Jones George Evan, Brynteg
  • Morris Thos. J.P. Brown Hill villas
  • Owen William, Garnant villas
  • Rees John, Bronwydd
  • Wardlaw Walter S. Glangarnant
  • Williams Rev. William B. A. (vicar of Cwmamman), The Vicarage



Early closing day, Thursday.

  • Amilcheri Chiori, confectioner
  • Ammanford Co-operative Society Ltd. (Edgar Bassett, manager)
  • Barclays Bank Ltd. (sub-branch to Ammanford) ; open tues. & fri. 2 to 4.30 p.m. ; draw on head office, 54 Lombard st.London E C 3
  • Bevan Elizabeth (Mrs.), Colliers' Arms P.H.
  • Bowen Sarah (Mrs.), Lamb & Flag P.H
  • Consolidated Anthracite CollieriesCo. Ltd. (Joseph Hopkins, manager). T N 2
  • Cornelius John Francis, hair dresser
  • Davies Arthur G. & Co. ironmongrs
  • Davies Daniel John, cabinet maker
  • Davies David, confectioner
  • Davies David, shopkeeper
  • Davies David S. hair dresser
  • Davies Gilbert Howel, surveyor for Cwmamman Urban District
  • Davies John, draper
  • Davies Rees, Commission & insurance agent, Brynteg
  • Davies William Luther John, motor cycle agent
  • Edwards David & Son, ironmongers, TN 8
  • Evans David, grocer, London house
  • Evans John Wm. chemist & druggist'
  • Evans Margaret (Mrs.), china dealer
  • Garnant Reading Room   (John Richards, sec)
  • George David Llewellyn, draper
  • Griffiths Emrys, farmer, Twynboli
  • Grovesend Steel & Tinplate Co. Ltd. (John A. Bracey, manager), Amman tinplate works. T N 4 ; Tel. Add. " Panama "
  • Harries Gomer, boot maker
  • Harris David, draper, see Williams & Harris
  • Hill Wm. Isaac, farmer, Nantmarn
  • Jenkins Albert & Co. drapers
  • Jenkins Richard, Prince Albert P.H
  • Jeriamish John, miller
  • Jones & Rhys, physicians & surgeons, Brynteg
  • Jones Benjamin, Globe P.H
  • Jones Emily (Mrs.), Half Moon P.H
  • Jones Evan, saddler
  • Jones George Evan L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S.Edin. physician & surgeon (firm, Jones & Rhys), & medical officer of health public vaccinator to Cwmamman Urban District, Brynteg
  • Jones Walter, boot & shoe dealer
  • Jones Wm. Edwd.frmr. Gorsygarnant
  • Lewis Edward John, blacksmith
  • Lewis Rees, boot maker
  • Lewis Thomas, butcher
  • Lewis William, ironmonger
  • Lloyds Bank Limited (sub-branch), attends weds. 11.15 to 1.15 & fridays 2 to 4; draw on head office, 71 Lombard st. London EC3
  • London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd. (sub-branch to Ammanford) (0. R. Evans, manager); attends tues. & fridays 9.30 to 12.15; draw on head office, 5 Threadneedle st. London E C 2
  • Michael Charles, shopkeeper
  • Morgan Evan, fruiterer  
  • Morgan John, grocer
  • Morgan William, draper, Oak house
  • North Amman Collieries Ltd. (The) (Walter S Wardlaw, mgr.). TN 9
  • Pike Joseph & Sons, fruiterers
  • Powell Evan, grocer, Stepney road
  • Rees Margaret (Mrs.), Raven P.H
  • Rees Moses, stationer
  • Rees Rachel (Mrs.), shopkeeper
  • Roberts John, draper
  • Roberts William, shopkeeper
  • Star Tea Co. Limited, grocers
  • Smith F. & Co. fruiterers. T N 7 .
  • Thomas David, ironmonger
  • Thomas Frederick, farmer, Glanrafon
  • Thomas Howel, shopkeeper
  • Thomas Jeremiah, grocer
  • Thomas Thos. shopkeepr. Post office
  • Thomas William, shopkeeper
  • Williams Daniel & Sons, stationers
  • Williams & Harris, drapers
  • Williams James, butcher
  • Williams William, tinplate worker



  • Bracey John Arthur, Y-Dderwen
  • Davies Rev. Benj. B.D. (curate)
  • Griffiths Edgar, Arosfa
  • Hay William Aubrey, Myrtwydd
  • James James Enoch, Anwylfan
  • Jones David, Gorsphwysfa
  • Jones James, Brynheulog
  • Knoyle William Martin, Woodburne
  • Lewis Morgan, Dolwerdd
  • Morgan Rev. Ffinant . (Calvinistic Methodist), Glenpowell
  • Oliver Rev. John (Calvinistic Meth)
  • Rees David, Glenhurst
  • Rhys Trefor Hughes M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond
  • Thomas John Rees, Tircoed villa
  • Thomas Thomas, Maldwyn house
  • Williams Arthur, Y- Gelly


Early closing day, Thursday.

  • Ammanford Co-operative  Society Ltd. (Edgar Bassett, manager) ; butchery department, Tircoed road
  • Bell Bertram, tailor
  • Bevan John, shopkeeper
  • Davies David  & Son, ironmongers
  • Davies David, blacksmith
  • Davies Griffiths, grocer
  • Davies William, blacksmith
  • Evans David & Sons, builders
  • Evans E. & A. (Misses), milliners
  • Evans O. C. & Co. builders' merchants. T N 7
  • Evans John, grocer
  • Fuller James & Son, wholesale & retail ironmongers, builders' merchants & plumbers
  • Fuller Harry, cabinet maker
  • Garland Frederick, painter
  • Gellyceidrim Collieries  Co.Ltd. (Cecil J. Davies, manager)
  • Glanamman Workmen's Institute (John James Morgan, sec)
  • Glanov Trading Co. grocers
  • Griffiths David, grocer
  • Griffiths John, confectioner
  • Hall David George, hair dresser
  • Harries Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
  • Hay Thomas Jones, Plough & Harrow P.H
  • Herbert Sidney, boot dealer
  • Hopkins Brothers, coal merchants
  • Hopkins John, shopkeeper
  • Hughes William & Son, builders
  • Hughes Rowland John, stationer
  • Jenkins David (Mrs.), draper, Waterloo house
  • Jones B. M. & Co. drapers       
  • Jones Elizabeth (Miss), shopkeeper
  • Jones Evan, butcher
  • Jones Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper
  • Jones Morgan M. music seller
  • King William, hair dresser
  • Knoyle William Martin, solicitor, & clerk to Cwmamman Urban District Council. T N 6
  • Lewis Lewis, farmer, Tircoed
  • Lloyds Bank Ltd. (sub-branch to Ammanford) (Albert Edward Davies, manager (open tues. & fri. 1 to 4 p.m.); draw on head office, 71 Lombard st.London E C 3
  • Lloyd John, farmer, Brynlloi
  • London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd. (sub-branch to Ammanford) (D. R. Evans, manager) (open tues.& fri. 1 to 4 p.m.); draw on head office, 5 Threadneedle st. London EC2
  • Morgan M. E. (Miss), Amman hotel
  • Morgan John Jenkin, shopkeeper
  • Owen Martin. Luther, boot maker
  • Phillips John & Co. auctioneers, Post Office chambers
  • Phillips John, rate collector for parish & urban. district of Cwmamman, Post office
  • Raven Tin Plate Co. Limited (The) (Edgar Griffiths, manager)
  • Rees David, Cross Keys P.H
  • Rees Dewi, tobacconist
  • Rees Griffith, butcher
  • Rhys Trefor Hughes M.R.C.S,Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. physician & surgeon (firm, Jones & Rhys, Brynteg, Garnant), Brondeg house
  • Richards M. & Co. cinematograph palace
  • Richards M. & Co. shopkeepers
  • Rigdon William, fruiterer
  • Roberts Mary Ann (Miss), confectnr
  • Roberts Samuel, grocer
  • Rowlands John, boot dealer
  • South Wales Galvanizing Co. T N 7
  • Thomas David, shopkeeper
  • Thomas John, butcher
  • Thomas Sara (Mrs.), grocer
  • Thomas William, Salutation inn
  • Walters David, confectioner
  • Ward Ede Mary (Mrs.), grocer
  • Williams Daniel & Sons, stationers
  • Williams Daniel, carpenter
  • Williams David John, collector of rates for Bettws parish, Jones ter
  • Willis & Jones, market gardeners

Return to top

[Gareth Hicks 23 Sept 2007]