GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents


LLANDISSILIO [Llandysilio (yn-y-Nefyd)]

"LLANDISSILIO (LLAN-DYSILIO), a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, partly in the lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, and partly in that of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Narberth, on the road to Cardigan; containing 1060 inhabitants, of whom 643 are in the Carmarthen, and 417 in the Pembroke, portion. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church . . . is about five miles in length, and four in breadth, and contains by admeasurement 6467 acres, of which two-thirds are in the Camarthen portion, and one third in that of Pembroke. The soil is of a very mixed kind and various qualities, being generally poor, but with some which is good and productive interspersed in particular situations: the mountainous parts afford indifferent pasture for the small sheep that appear to be aboriginal . . . the chief agricultural product is wheat, barley, and oats; and the prevailing timber is oak, ash, sycamore, and alder. . . There are two quarries producing an indifferent quality of slate, and two corn-mills . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


Monumental inscriptions for Rhydwilym Baptist Church, and for Blaenconin Baptist Chapel in this parish are available on microfiche from the Dyfed Family History Society.


The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

Church History

LLANDISSILIO, WEST, St. Tyssilio 1839-1840    - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants. The list includes both CMN and PEM entries


Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Dyssilio

Parish entry for Llandyssilio with Egremont from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).


Absalom, J. and Williams, E.L. Rhamant Rhydwilym, Llandysul, Gwasg Gomer (1939) 77 p., [13] leaves of plates, ill. [Rhydwilym Baptist Chapel History]

Church Records

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg (under Pem)

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings, Marriages and Burials (1720-50) are at the National Library of Wales.

Parish registers: Christenings (1751-1812), Marriages (1783-1969) and Burials (1751-1948), and Facsimile Christenings, Marriages and Burials (1720-50) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Microfiche Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1720-96) and Marriages (1720-53, 1837-1969) are at the Pembrokeshire Record Office.

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1671-2, 1677-9, 1681-2, 1684-7, 1689-90, 1693-5, 1697-9, 1707, 1715, 1717, 1719-22, 1724-54, 1756-90, 1792-4, 1796, 1798, 1802-36, 1841-3, 1847-8, 1850-4, 1863-70, 1875-6) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 10 - Dungleddy Hundred (Pemrokeshire) (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989).

Nonconformist Chapels:

Nonconformist Chapels: [ in both parts of the parish]

Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Places, villages, farms etc within Llandissilio  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of   Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Katherine Hocking)


Transcript of complete entry in Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales of 1833.


James, David. EVANS of Llandissilio. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 7/75. Discovering more about the inhabitants, of Cwm Isaf farm, from the census and a life insurance policy


Lewis, T.E., Jones, J.T. and Lewis, H. Local heritage from Efailwen to Whitland: comprising the history of the parishes of Climaenllwyd, Hellanfallteg, Llanboidy, Llandysilio, Llanddewi Velfrey, Whitland (2 vols), Clunderwen, The Author (1976) [ISBN: 0902126059 (v. 2)] p.

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Michael, D J. Hanes Blaenconyn [History of Blaenconyn]. Llandysul, 1956.


View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries. Note that Llandissilio village is actually in PEM despite being included in CMN's database
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks : 20 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.