Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for LLANDEBIE

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

LLANDEBIE

In 1868, the parish of Llandebie contained the following places:

"LLANDEBIE, (or Llandybie), a parish in the hundred of Iskennen, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S. of Llandilo Fawr, its post town, and 14 S.E. of Carmarthen. The Llanelly and Vale of Towy railway has a station here. It lies at the foot of Mynydd Du, on the river Loughor, and contains the hamlets of Glyntag, Blayne, and about six others. The inhabitants are employed in the limestone quarries, coal mines, and in the manufacture of woollen goods. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £99, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Tybie. The Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists have chapels. The charities amount to about £3 per annum. There are several good seats in the neighbourhood. In the grounds of that called Glynhir is a waterfall of about 30 feet. Fairs are held-on Easter-Wednesday and on the first Wednesday in July.

"BLAYNE, a hamlet in the parish of Llandebie, hundred of Iskennen, in the county of Carmarthen, South Wales, 4 miles to the S. of Llandilo Fawr."

"CROSS INN, a village in the parish of Llandebie, in the county of Carmarthen, 5 miles S. of Llandeilofawr. It is a station on the Garnant branch of the Llanelly and Vale of Towy railway."

"DERWYDD, (or Derwild), a hamlet in the parish of Llandebie, in the county of Carmarthen, 4 miles S. of Llandeilofawr. It is a station on the Llanelly railway, and is situated near the river Cennen.

"FEREMFAWR, a hamlet in the parish of Llandebie, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S.W. of Llandilo-fawr. It includes the hamlet of Gain."

"GLYTAY, a hamlet in the parish of Llandebie, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S. of Llandilo-fawr."

"PIODE, a hamlet in the parish of Llandebie, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S. of Llandilo Fawr."

"PISTILL, a hamlet in the parish of Llandebie, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S. of Llandilo Fawr."

"TYR-ROSSER, (or Tir Rhos Hir), a hamlet in the parish of Llandebie, county Carmarthen, 4 miles S.W. of Llandilo-fawr.

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018