GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents

 

LLANEDI

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"LLANEDY (LLAN-EDI), a parish, in the union of LLANELLY, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 10 miles (S.) from Llandilo-Vawr; containing 1098 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the River Loughor, by which it is separated from the county of Glamorgan; and is intersected by the turn-pike road from Swansea to Llandilo-Vawr: it . . . extends nearly eight miles in length, and one mile and a quarter in breadth, comprising by measurement 5200 acres, of which about 1800 are arable, 2000 pasture, 700 wood, and between 600 and 700 common and waste. The surface is elevated and hilly, and the soil generally dry and light, and on the tillage lands very fertile, producing good crops of wheat, barley, oats, and potatoes; the scenery is extensive, varied, and picturesque . . . There are mines of excellent anthracite, which until lately were worked only for the supply of the immediate neighbourhood, but they are now in operation on a larger scale, and the coal is exported in considerable quantity . . . Iron ore exists, but no works are carried on; and there is a quarry of excellent stone for building and other purposes. . . The church, dedicated to St. Edith, is pleasantly situated on an elevated hill, overlooking the Loughor, and commanding an extensive view of great variety and beauty; it has recently been repaired, and enlarged by a gallery . . . There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. About 40 children are taught in a day school . . . and there are three Sunday schools . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Census

An index to the Llanedi 1851 census is available for purchase from CMN FHS

Church History

LLANEDY, St. Edith  1828-1829   - on the Church plans online site

HENDY, St. David   1902-1904   - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

Thomas, D. Elfryn. Y Tabernacl coed: canmlwyddiant eglwys Annibynnol Moreia, Ty-croes, 1876-1976, (Abertawe, 1976) 48p.

Hen Gapel, Llanedi: rhaglen cyfarfodydd dathlu tri chan mlwyddiant yr achos, 1650-1951, [Llanelli], Dyfed, Eglwys yr Hen Gapel (A.), Llanedi (1951) [8] p.

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1708-1977), Marriages (1708-1973), Banns (1790-1913, 1932-69) and Burials (1708-1976) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Microfiche Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1708-83), Marriages (1708-1812) are at the National Library of Wales.

Copy ts PR/BT index C (1689-1812)  M (1699-1820) B (1679-1976) at NLW

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1679, 1690, 1698-9, 1702, 1707-8, 1717-22, 1724-33, 1735-1800, 1802-56, 1858-62) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 19 - Carnwallon Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

An index to Marriages (1708-1837) is included in the South And West Wales Genealogical Index CD-ROM - details under Genealogy on Carmarthenshire county page.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Hendy, Yr [formed out of Llanedi]
Christenings (1911-77) Marriages (1892-1977)  Banns (1925-74) at Carm.RO

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanedi  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

History

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

THE ARCHAEOLOGY AND EARLY HISTORY OF AMMANFORD "...a brief summary of the archaeology of Llandybie, the Amman Valley, and Betws taken from the Amman Valley Heritage Audit prepared by Cambria Archeology in January 2003 (Report No: 2003/5), by Paul Sambrook and Jenny Hall).  The study area encompasses the modern parishes of Llandybie, Llanfiangel Aberbythych (Carmel), Cyngor Bro Dyffryn Cennen, Cwmamman, Llandadog and Quarter Bach (Brynamman) to the north of Ammanford and Llanedi, Betws and Gwaun Cae Gurwen to the south.."- on Terry Norman's site

 

Evans, Evan Lewis. The history of Pontardulais. [Gorseinon]: [Ivor Griffiths], [1985?] 72, 13p: ill, facsims, maps, plans, ports; 30cm. Here is an index by Tina Morgan

Griffiths, Ivor. Here is a collection of articles written  by him for the Hendy & Pontardulais Carnival Programme;

John, Deric & Alun Rees et al.   Historical and Hysterical Tales of Pontardulais Public Houses. Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, Llanrwst, 2008.

Jones, Howard M. Yr Hendy, the Village and Rugby Club. 1993, p269

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Names, Geographical

Llanedi Place-names - a database (download a 150kb Word.doc) by Deric John   

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks : 23 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional