GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents

 

LLANEGWAD

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"LLANEGWAD (LLAN-EGWAD), a parish, in the union of Llandilo-Vawr, partly in the lower division of the hundred of CATHINOG, and partly in the higher division of that of ELVET, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 7 1/2 miles (W. by S.) from Llandilo-Vawr; containing 2113 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Egwad, who is said to have lived here in seclusion and devotional retirement, probably near the spot still called "Eisteddva Egwad," where are the ruins of an ancient and very extensive mansion. The parish extends for nearly seven miles from north to south, and about four from east to west, and is intersected by the river Cothy, which falls into the Towy at this place. The lands, which with the exception of a very small portion, are inclosed, are fertile, and in a good state of cultivation; and the village is pleasantly situated. Search was made by N.B. Jones, Esq., within the last few years, for copper-ore, of which a vein was discovered, but it dipped so considerably below the bed of the river as to render the working of it altogether impracticable. . . There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Welsh and Wesleyan Methodists. . . A day school, containing 50 boys and 20 girls, is partly supported by endowment, and partly by voluntary contributions . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Church History

LLANEGWAD, St. Egwad 1847-1849    - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Egwod

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1701-1901), Marriages (1701-1953), Banns (1849-1976) and Marriages for Alltyferin (1900-70) and St. John (1901-70), Burials (1701-1905), and are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies [except Banns] at Carm.RO

Copy ts PR index C (1813-1901) M (1701-1913) Banns (1849-1945) Alltyferin (1900-70) St John (1901-70)  B (1813-1905) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1679, 1681-2, 1686-7, 1690, 1701-3, 1707, 1716-20, 1725-31, 1733-62, 1764-91, 1793-1800, 1802-81) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 17 - Cathinog Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Parish Church photograph and basic information from Dyfed FHS.

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanegwad  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of   Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

Genealogy

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

The Baths of Alltyferin, origin, estate, mansion etc

Reader, Jean. DAVIES of Llanegwad. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 7/30.  A copy of an old newspaper obituary, a 1906 letter, and a photograph of a young soldier, led to the discovery of more than one Davies ancestor.

History

Brunker. John   Llanegwad. John Brunker was the Headmaster at Llanegwad School, and a member of the Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society. His great interest in the parish led him in 1937 to publish Brunker's Llanegwad. See the Llanegwad site link above for more details.

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Documents at the National Library of Wales:

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Held at Carmarthen Archives;

 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 12 Sept 2013]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional