Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Llanfair-ar-y-bryn

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llanfair-ar-y-bryn

"LLANVAIR-AR-Y-BRYN (LLAN-FAIR-AR-Y-BRYN), a parish, in the union of LLANDOVERY, higher division of the hundred of PERVERTH, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 1/2 a mile (N.E.) from Llandovery, on the turnpike-road to Builth; comprising the townships of Rhandir Abbot, Rhandir Canol, Rhandir Isâv, and Rhandir Uchâv; and containing 1649 inhabitants. . . In the township of Rhandir Abbot are some extensive lead-mines, the property of Earl Cawdor . . . These mines, which are among the principal in South Wales, have at times employed from one to two hundred workmen; but the number is now materially diminished, owing to the long and laborious land-carriage to Llanelly . . . The church, dedicated to St. Mary, and situated in Llandingat, nearly a mile from its own parish, is an ancient edifice, consisting of one large aisle, with a tower . . . There are three places of worship for Independents, and one for Calvinistic Methodists. About 25 children are educated in a day school, which is partly supported by the Earl Cawdor . . . another day school, appertaining to Independents, contains 20 children, who are taught at the expense of their parents; and there are four Sunday schools, in which 220 males and females receive gratuitous instruction." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Biography

William Williams, Pantycelyn -  on Wikipedia ;  and on People's Collection Wales

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Llanfair ar y Bryn St Mary's Church

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Mary's Church

Carved stone figures from Llanfair-ar-y-bryn Church - on the People's Collection Wales site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Rhandir-Isaf Hamlet
  • Llanfair ar y bryn Parish Church                     John James, Curate
  • Ystradffyn Chapel of Ease                 Consecrated before 1800      "This chapel in such isolated place that a large congregation can't be expected And the population much scattered"        John Williams, Curate
  • Capel Cynfal Schoolroom           Licensed in 1849 by the Bishop                  John Jones, Curate
  • Pentre Ty Gwyn             Ind            Erected in 1749        William Jones, Minister
  • Bethel  Ind          Erected in 1841       Wm Rees, Minister
  •  
  • Rhandir-Canol Hamlet
  • Gosen   CM                    Erected in 1844               Thomas Morgans, Deacon; Rees Evans, Llanchinfa
  • Salem    CM          Erected in 1829 in lieu of another         William Jenkins, Minister, Llansawel, Nr Llandovery
  •  
  • No returns for Rhandir-Uchaf and Rhandir-Abbot hamlets

Davies, Rhys. Cefnarthen y comin, y capel a'r ysgol. Abertawe, Walters a'i fab, 1983

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Fair y Bryn

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Mary
  • Incumbent and Curates; H Lloyd
  • Rural Deanery of  Llangadock
  • Acreage 22,991 ; Population 567

Parish entry  for Ystradffin  from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Barnabas
  • &
  • St Paulinus
  • Incumbent and Curates; E Morgan
  • Rural Deanery of  Llangadock
  • Acreage --- ; Population 439

Ystrad-Ffin - the ancient chapel, Capel Peulin, had no separate registers until the modern parish was created in 1875.

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the earliest PR here went back to 1600 'but not entire'

Parish registers: Christenings (1735-90, 1796-1865), Marriages (1736-46, 1756-1837), Banns (1823-1905) and Burials (1735-90, 1796-1844) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies at Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1675, 1677-9, 1681-3, 1685-8, 1690-1, 1693-8, 1701-2, 1708, 1711, 1713, 1716-18, 1721-2, 1725, 1727-36, 1738-83, 1785-94, 1796-1800, 1802-60, 1865) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 21 - Perfedd Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg for;

  • Llanfair-ar-y-bryn
  • Ystrad-ffin (Capel Peulin)

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Seion Baptist chapel, Rhandirmwyn     - See under Cil-y-cwm parish
  •  
  • Goshen (Calvinistic Methodist, 1844), Gwerngwine, near Cynghordy                       On Dyfed FHS                  Gosen Cynghordy CM chapel - still open in 2006
  • Salem (Calvinistic Methodist, bef 1803), near village of Rhandirmwyn             Births and baptisms (1834-37) PRO RG4/2903, LDS 828112, IGI             SN77724394    Built 1829; rebuilt/modified 1852 & 1886.  Still open 2000        Coflein                On Dyfed FHS  under Ystrad Ffin
  •  
  •  
  • Bethel (Independent, c1804), Cynghordy                  Minute book (1916-30), annual reports (1917-36), Sunday school registers (1898-1914) and ms. Church history (180-1904) Carmarthenshire R.O.          On Dyfed FHS            Bethel Ind chapel, Cynghordy shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh )  - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)
  • Cefnarthen (Independent, bef 1660), Rhandir isaf               Records with those of Pentretygwyn; deeds and 1854 accounts Carmarthenshire R.O.         On Dyfed FHS         Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)           See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data           
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (March 2009)
  • Pentretygwyn (Independent, 1739), Pentretygwyn, Rhandir isaf              Births and baptisms (1769-1837) PRO RG4/3824, LDS 828112, IGI.          See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg             See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph             On Dyfed FHS            shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh )  - with translation by Maureen Saycell (March 2009)

Ystrad-Ffin .
The ancient chapel, Capel Peulin, in the parish of Llanfair-ar-y-bryn, seems to have had no PR until it became a separate parish [ formed out of Llanfair-ar-y-bryn and Cil-y-cwm in 1875]. The new church of St Barnabas was substituted for it in 1878.
Registers; Christenings, Marriages, Burials (1875-) with incumbent.
BTs: 1875-80 at NLW

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Llanfairarybryn Parish including the hamlets of Rhandir-isaf, Rhandir-canol, Rhandir-uchaf and Rhandir-Abbot; Area 23457 acres; Population 834 males, 871 females, total 1705

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanfair-ar-y-Bryn parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Merv Thomas)

  • Llanfair-ar-y-bryn (1); 1a=Rhandir isaf. 1b = Rhandir Canol. 1c = Rhandir Uchaf. 1d = Rhandir Abbot.
  • Aber-Crychan, Babel, Banc Cefn gareg, Bronydd, Bryn-ffoi, Bwlch-y-ffin, Cefn Ho, Cefn-coch, Cefn-coed, Cefn-hirfryn, Cefn-llan, Cefn-pwll-hen, Coed-Ifan, Craig-Bron-y-cwrt, Cynghordy, Cynnant, Dinas bach, Dol-achddu, Dolau-gwynion, Dolfallt, Dugoedydd, Esgair Berfedd, Esgair-berfedd, Fwng-uchaf, Garth-fady, Gelli-felen, Gelli-rhydd, Gilfach, Glan-Bran, Glan-Crychan, Glan-dwr, Glyn-mawr, Glyn-moch, Gorllwyn, Gwen-pwll, Gwern-gwinau,Gynon, Hafod-pant, Llanerch-bindda, Llanfair-ar-y-bryn, Lleth-hir, Lletty'r-haflaeth, Moelfr, Mwnffri, Nant-llyndir, Nant-y-bai, Nant-y-mwyn, Neuadd fach, Noethgrug, Pant-glas, Pant-llech-ddu, Pant-y-celyn, Pant-y-rhe???, Pen Cerig-mwyn, Pen-lan, Pentre-ty-gwyn, Pen-twyn, Pen-y-Daren, Pen-y-lan,Pen-y-waun,Rhandir-mwyn,Rhydins-fach,Sarn-y-geifr,Scrach,Tre-fawr,Tyn-y-coed,Ystrad-ffin, Ystrad-Walter

 

Gittins, R & Spencer Davies, D. The Illustrated Heart of Wales Line. Llandysul, 1985, 143 pp. Its 110 mile route from Swansea to Shrewsbury takes it through  the heartland of Wales inc. the towns and hamlets of Pantyfynnon, Ffairfach, Llandeilo, Llangadog, Llandovery, Cynghordy etc, and describes each halt and station in detail.

You can see pictures of Cynghordy which are provided by:

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Cynghordy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

History

Davies, Ronald. Rhandir-Isaf: A Rhandir of the Parish of Llanfair-ar-y-Bryn. J. of the Dyfed FHS, vol. 1, (1982) pp.10-12.

Davies, Ronald. Epynt without people.1984, 208 p. Many families and holdings are named and the hamlets of Pentretygwyn, Babel and Halfway are covered in detail.

Davies, Rhys. Cefnarthen, Y Comin, Y Capel A'r Ysgol. (Cefnarthen, the Common, the Chapel and the School). Clydach, 1983.

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Cynghordy Muniments  1523-1956     "Cynghordy, in the parish of Llanfair-ar-y-bryn in Carmarthenshire, was anciently the home of the Gwynn family. This family failed in 1769 with the death of William Gwynn, who left six daughters. Thereafter, Cynghordy passed through several hands................"

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries. NB,t here is no village of this name within the parish, and the parish church is within Llandingat parish, so the main link points to Cynghordy which is  fairly central  within Llanfair-ar-y-bryn parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN807403 (Lat/Lon: 52.048177, -3.741131), Cynghordy which are provided by:

Social life and Customs

Williams, Pantycelyn. The National Library of Wales 'Treasures' series. A volume of religious poetry in the hand of William Williams (1717-1791), Wales' most eminent hymn writer.  "William was born in 1717 in Cefn-coed in the parish of Llanfair-ar-y-bryn, Carmarthenshire........."

[Gareth Hicks :  15 Dec 2012]