GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents



Parish based
sketch map
of the

"LLANVIHANGEL-AR-ARTH, or YEROTH (LLAN-FIHANGEL-AR-ARTH), a parish, in the union of NEWCASTLE-EMLYN, higher division of the hundred of CATHINOG, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 12 miles (N. by E.) from Carmarthen; containing 1993 inhabitants. . . . The parish is pleasantly situated on the river Teivy, over which the turnpike-road is continued by means of a handsome stone bridge . . .The surrounding scenery is pleasantly diversified, and in some parts highly picturesque; and the soil, though varying in different parts, is in general fertile. . . The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is situated on an eminence on the southern bank of the Teivy . . . The chapel of Pencader has been in ruins for nearly a century, but the cemetery is still entire. There are places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, Baptists, and Independents. D. Jones, Esq., pays a master 5 per annum for teaching poor children to read Welsh in a school for more than 120 children . . . Three other day schools are carried on, in which 80 boys and 35 girls are educated at the expense of their parents; and five Sunday schools . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Llanfihangel-ar-arth St Mihangel Church

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants


Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).


Davies, Bryn. Hanes eglwys Annibynnol Gwyddgrug, Pencader, (Pencader, 1940), 37p.

Davies, Bryn. D. Brinley Thomas: Dwy ran o stori'r ganrif: eglwys Gwyddgrug 1890-1990, (Pencader, 1990), 67p.

Dwy ran o stori'r ganrif: Eglwys Gwyddgrug 1890-1990, Pencader, Eglwys Gwyddgrug (1990) 67, [10] p. of plates: p., ill., facsim., ports.

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Fihangel Iorwerth and Pencader, a Chapel to Llan Fihangel Iorwerth

Morris, G. (Rev.)  Hanes Eglwys Y Bedyddwyr yn Hebron, Plwyf Llanfihangle Y Arth 1830-1930.  Gomer Llandyssul, 1930.

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1787-1977), Marriages (1756-1971), Banns (1878-1959) and Burials (1787-1896) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Facsimile Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1787-1812) and Marriages (1813-37) are at the National Library of Wales.

Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M ( 1756-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1672, 1678, 1694, 1697-1700, 1711, 1713, 1716-17, 1719-22, 1724-9, 1731, 1733-4, 1736-43, 1745-9, 1752-62, 1764-7, 1769-72, 1775-8, 1780, 1782-3, 1785, 1787-1800, 1802-12, 1814-33, 1835-53, 1855, 1871-3, 1875-6) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 17 - Cathinog Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Pencader [formed out of Llanfihangel-ar-arth]
Christenings (1883-1952) Marriages (1886-1969) Burials (1883-1935) at Carm.RO

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Llanfihangel-ar-arth - on Wikipedia

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanfihangel-ar-arth   as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)


Martin, Marion.  Titus Jones of Llanfihangel-ar-arth.  Second Stages in Researching Welsh Ancestry. Edited by John & Sheila Rowlands. FFHS, 1999. (NB. -  the article is about genealogy in Cwmfelin. The title is perhaps misleading in that Titus Jones, while born in Llanfihangel ar Arth, moved to Cwmfelin, near Llanelli, when young and there is minimal reference to Llanfihangel ar Arth parish in the article)


Books marked * have an entry on the separate 'Review/Contents' page.

*Dub, Steve. This Small Corner, a History of Pencader and District , 266 pages, 62 illustrations, 6 maps, published by Carmarthenshire County Council, 2000.

Hughes, D. G. Lloyd Tir yr Abad: Hanes New Inn a Gwyddgrug yn Shir Gr. 1996 (Llandysul: Gwasg Gomer). index and bibliography. 22 photo illustrations. 10 maps.

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Land and Property

At the NLW is a document "Llanfihangel-ar-arth Tithe - Rent charge in lieu of tithe in arrear on the 12 January 1889" which covers the tithes due for the years 1884 to 1888 and lists 36  "Names of Defaulters" and holdings/farms. However it was not where one would expect but was found in a reference to Llangeler - Ref: Llysnewydd Bundle 62 NLW [from Glen Jenkins]

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;


View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries


Hughes, D G Lloyd.    Y Diwydiant Gwlan yn Nyffryn Teifi [The Woollen Industry in the Teifi Valley ]: Pencader a'r Cylch.  Llanrwst, 2004


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks : 17 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.