GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents



"LLANVIHANGEL-ABERBYTHIC (LLAN-FIHANGEL-ABER-BYTHYCH), a parish, in the union of LLANDILO-VAWR, hundred of ISCENNEN, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (W.S.W.) from Llandilo; containing 948 inhabitants. . . The environs comprehend many fine views . . . The neighbourhood abounds with limestone, which rises from the sea near Kidwelly, and extends to this parish, and is burned in great abundance for manure, which is conveyed to many parts of the principality. For this purpose a rail-road has been constructed from the works at Castell-y-Garreg, in the parish, to the Burry river . . . The church, dedicated to St. Michael, a small neat edifice, was according to a tablet recording the event, erected in 1617 . . . There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. A neat school-room was built at the expense of the late Lord Cawdor . . . There are also three other day schools . . . and three Sunday schools . . . Golden Grove, the ancient seat of the Vaughans, Earls of Carberry, and now the property of Earl Cawdor, is situated within the parish. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants


Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).


Thomas, G. Brynmor. Llwybrau llafur: hanes eglwys Annibynnol Milo, Llanfihangel Aberbythych, 1828-1976. [Paths of Labour: History of the Milo Independent Church, Llanfihangel Aberbythych]. (Abertawe, 1968), 111p.

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1674-83, 1695-1922),  Marriages (1674-83, 1695-1970) Banns (1755-1959) and St Mary Marriages (1959-69),   Burials (1674-83, 1695-1904)  are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Copy ts PR index C (1813-1922) M (1698-1875) B (1813-75) at NLW and Carm.RO

Transcript Parish registers: Christenings, Marriages and Burials (1675-1766) are at the Society of Genealogists.

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1679, 1681-4, 1686, 1707-8, 1710-11, 1717, 1719-22, 1724-30, 1735, 1739-45, 1747-59, 1761, 1763-1800, 1802-37, 1839-66) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 18 - Iscennin Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanfihangel Aberbythych parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of   Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rina Callingham)

Emigration and Immigration

Davies, David. LAKE of Llanfihangel Aberbythych. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 7/101.A distant relative emigrated, with his brother, to the USA in time to get caught up in the Civil War


Williams, Alun. The Vaughans of Golden Grove. [Pontarddulais?]: Alun Williams (1996).


Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, here they are for this parish;

Land and Property

Documents at the National Library of Wales:

Jones, Francis. Golden Grove. Ceredigion, Vol IV/3 1962.
 "There are few areas in Wales where Place and People have combined to produce a more coherent and vivid representation of continuous history than the setting of which Golden Grove is centre. Here in the parish of Llanfihangel Aberbythych we stand in the very heartland of the ancient kingdom of Deheubarth, the decisions of whose princes affected the lives of people as widely separated as the farmers of remote Genau'r Glyn, the herdsmen on the Precelly slopes, and the fishermen on the banks of Llwchwr......"



Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks : 19 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.