The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is an ecclesiastical parish and village in the civil parish of Quarter Bach, partly in Glamorgan and partly in Carmarthenshire, on the Nantmelyn stream in the vale of Swansea, and has a junction station of the Great Western and Midland railways; 250 miles from London, 18 north-east from Swansea, 18 north-east from Llanelly and 14 south from Llandilo, in the Eastern division of the county of Carmarthen, and Western division of Glamorgan, Pontardawe and Llandilo unions, Pontardawe, Llandilo and Langadock petty sessional divisions and county court districts, rural deanery of Llandilo, archdeaconry of Carmarthen and diocese of St. Davids.
The water supply is drawn from the mountains. The church of St. Catherine, erected in 1881. at a cost of £1,731, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisle, organ chamber and a belfry containing one bell: there are 300 sittings. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £124, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1880. by the Rev. John Morlais Jones.
There are Congregational and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
New tin and iron works have been opened here, and these with collieries are the principal industries. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1891 was 1,617, which is also the population of the civil parish of Quarter Bach.
Parish Clerk, Watkins Jones.
Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B., Express Delivery, Insurance &. Annuity Office, Upper Brynamman. (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O., Carmarthenshire added).--- Mrs. Mary Thomas, postmistress. Letters received through Llanelly; dispatched at 5.45 p.m.
British School maintained in connection with the various works in the neighbourhood, built in 1863, for 295 children; average attendance, 154 boys & 113 girls
Is a station 12 miles south-east by road from Llandilofawr and the same distance north-west from Neath, and contains the village of Brynamman.
Earl Cawdor, who is lord of the manor, George Henry. Strick esq. J.P., Henry Thomas esq. and John Williams Gwynne-Hughes esq. D.L., J.P. of Tegib, Llandilo, are the principal landowners.
The soil is various; subsoil, gravel and rock. The chief crops are wheat and roots. The area is 7,704 acres, of which 25 are water. The population in 1891 was 1,617. The rateable area is 1,118 acres; rateable value, £2,260.
Letters arrive from Brynamman R.S.O. at 7.55 a.m. & 12.25 p.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. Brynamman is the nearest post, money order & telegraph office
Board School (mixed), built in 1867, for 300 children; average attendance, 240
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 25 November 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996