GENUKI Home Page Llangadock Llangadock Contents Contents

  Kelly's Directory South Wales 1923

Brynamman, Cwmllynfell and Quarter Bach

 

This is an extract by Gareth Hicks (Sept 2007) from the CD of the same title with the kind permission of (Archive CD Books)


BRYNAMMAN is a village and an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1889 from the civil parishes of Llandilo Rural and Quarter Bach in Carmarthenshire, and Llangiwg in Glamorgan ; it is on the Nantmelyn stream in the Amman valley, and has a junction station of the Great Western and London, Midland and Scottish railways ; 250 miles from London, 18 north-east from Swansea, 18 north-east from Llanelly and 14 south from Llandilo, in the Llanelly division of the county of Carmarthen and Neath division of Glamorgan, Pontardawe and Llandilo unions, Pontardawe, Llandilo and Llangadock petty sessional divisions and county court districts, rural deanery of Llandilo, archdeaconry of Carmarthen and diocese of St. David's.

The water supply is drawn from the mountains, and is under the control of the Llandilo-Fawr Rural District Council.

The church of St. Catherine, erected in 1881, at a cost of 1,731, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisle, organ chamber and a belfry containing one bell: there are 300 sittings. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 350, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's and the Board of Patronage, and held since 1920 by the Rev. John Walter Hughes BA. of St. David's College, Lampeter. There are Congregational, Baptist and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.

There are tinplate works, and these with collieries are the principal industries.

The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1911 was 5,072.

Parish Clerk, Lewis George Hodson

 

CWMLLYNFELL, with a station on the London, Midland and Scottish railway, is a village in the ecclesiastical parish of Brynamman, and in the civil parishes of Llanguick and Llandilo.

The church of St. Margaret's, built in 1905, is an edifice of local stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, organ chamber, a porch and baptistery and a bell-gable with one bell: there are sittings for 250 persons. The Rev. John Williams L.Div. of St. David's College, Lampeter, has been curate in charge since 1921. There are Congregational, Calvinistic and Methodist and Baptist chapels.

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Upper Brynamman (letters should have Carmarthenshire added).- David William Lewis, postmaster. Letters through Llanelly

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Cwmllynfell. - Mrs. Cassie Morgan, sub-postmistress. Letters through Swansea

Railway Stations.

 

QUARTER BACH has a station 12 miles south-east by road from Llandilofawr and the same distance north-west from Neath, and contains the village of Brynamman. It is in the Llanelly division of the county of Carmarthenshire and Llandilo-Fawr union.

Earl Cawdor is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

The soil is various ; subsoil, gravel and rock. The chief crops are wheat and roots. The area is 7,704 acres, of which 25 are water.

The population in 1911 was 2,716. The rateable area is 1,118 acres ; rateable value, 4,815.

Letters arrive from Brynamman, which is the nearest. post, money order & telegraph office

 

BRYNAMMAN.

COMMERCIAL

Early closing day, Thursday.

 

QUARTER BACH.

FARMERS.

 

CWMLLYNFELL.

COMMERCIAL.


[Last Updated : 21 Sept 2007- Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

commercial purposes and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional