GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents

 

LLANGADOCK [LLANGADOG]

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"LLANGADOCK (LLAN-GADOG-FAWR), a market-town and parish, comprising the hamlets of Above-Sawdde, Dyfryn-Cydrich, and Gwynve, in the union of LLANDOVERY, lower division of the hundred of PERVERTH, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 21 miles (E.N.E.) from Carmarthen; and 188 (W. by N.) from London, and containing 2064 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Cadog, is of very remote antiquity . . . The TOWN is beautifully situated between the rivers Brân and Sawdde, over the former of which it has a neat stone bridge of three elliptic arches . . . it consists principally of one spacious street, containing several well built houses of respectable appearance, and is abundantly supplied with water, but neither paved nor lighted. . . the parish contains coal, limestone, and lead and iron ores, the two former of which are wrought on a moderate scale, employing fifty to sixty persons each during the summer months . . . The PARISH contains 22,642 a. 3 r. 7 p., of which, by computation, 7000 acres are common, and, by admeasurement, 6812 a. 3 r. 7 p. arable, 8000 pasture and meadow, and 830 woodland; the soil is a good loam, and the chief produce, wheat, barley, and oats. . . The LIVING is a vicarage, with Llanthoysaint annexed . . . In the hamlet of Gwynve is an endowed chapel, in the gift of the Vicar of Llangadock. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic Methodists; and . . . five day schools . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Biography

A brief and authentic narrative of that unfortunate young man, Rees Thos. Rees, of Llangadock, in the County of Carmarthen, who was executed ... 19th April, 1817. Carmarthen: Evan Jones, Printer, [1817] 8p; 18cm.

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Cemeteries

Monumental inscriptions for Gibea Congregational Chapel, Upper Brynamman, are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Church History

BRYNAMMAN, St. Catherine  1879-1881   - on the Church plans online site

GWYNFE, All Saints   1896-1900  - on the Church plans online site

For Brynaman chapels see the Cwmgors a'r Waun site

Llangadog, Capel Gwynfe and Bethlehem - contains photographs of the following;

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry for Llangadock from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

Parish entry for Brynamman from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

Parish entry for Gwynfe from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

Gwynfe was an ancient chapelry here, whose pre-1812 records were entered in the Llangadock PRs. Its marriages (1837-1970) are at the Carmarthenshire R.O.

 

Evans, Joseph Llewelyn. Braslun o hanes yr achos yng Nghapel Maen, Gwynfe, (1853-1953), (Llandysul, 1953), 16p.

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Gadog

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) volume 3 (published 1873), pages 562-565, FHL microfilm 1559405 item 3. Here are the ( Welsh) extracts from this book relating to Providence and Bethlehem chapels (now with translations)  contributed by Darris G Williams
Also that for Gibea, Upper Brynaman - with translation

Thomas, Mair. Eglwys Gibea Brynaman 1842-1992, [Brynaman], Eglwys Annibynnol Gibea, Brynaman (1992) 88 p., ill., ports.

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1708-1878), Marriages (1708-1970), Banns (1823-50) and Burials (1708-1959) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1677-9, 1681-7, 1690, 1693-6, 1698, 1702, 1704, 1710-11, 1716-17, 1720-1, 1724-6, 1728-9, 1735-41, 1745-84, 1787-96, 1798-1800, 1802-7, 1809-60, 1862-7, 1871) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 21 - Perfedd Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:  - for Brynaman chapels see the Cwmgors a'r Waun site

Brynaman [formed out of Llangadog 1889]
Christenings (1881-1928) Marriages (1889-1980) Banns (1924-61) Burials (1882-1950) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Gwynfe [an ancient chapelry with CMB prior to 1812 entered in PR Llangadog]
Christenings and Burials (1862-) with incumbent .  Marriages (1837-1970) at Carm.RO
BTs; see Llangadog

Jerusalem Chapel photograph and basic information from Dyfed FHS.

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Places, villages, farms etc within Llangadock as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Anna Brueton)

Llangadock Castle - on Castle Wales

Llangadog, Capel Gwynfe and Bethlehem - a community site.

Aerial photograph of Brynamman, 2001 - on People's Collection Wales site (use search box)

Dyfed (Wales) Cultural Services Department. Llandeilo, Llanymddyfri a rhan uchaf Dyffryn Tywi: mewn hen luniau. Stroud: Alan Sutton ar y cyd Cyngor Sir Dyfed a Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru, 1991. 159p: chiefly ill, ports. [ISBN 0862999758]

Gittins, R & Spencer Davies, D. The Illustrated Heart of Wales Line. Llandysul, 1985, 143 pp. Its 110 mile route from Swansea to Shrewsbury takes it through  the heartland of Wales inc. the towns and hamlets of Pantyfynnon, Ffairfach, Llandeilo, Llangadog, Llandovery, Cynghordy etc, and describes each halt and station in detail.

Directories

Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1830. Here are Extracts relating to Llangadock parish

Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1844. Here are Extracts relating to Llangadock parish

Kellys Directory South Wales 1895. Here are Extracts for Brynamman and Quarter Bach

Kelly's Directory of South Wales, 1910. Here are Extracts relating to Brynamman, Cwmllynfell and Quarter Bach

Kelly's Directory of South Wales 1923  Here are Extracts relating to Brynamman, Cwmllynfell and Quarter Bach

Genealogy

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Carmarthenshire Families

 

Davies, Colin Thomas. Disinherited: the Williams family of Blaenllynant and Maesiago. Dyfed Family History Journal 4 (1994), p. 376-8

Davies, Vaughan. Aberglasney and the Dyer family [of Llangadog and/or Llangathen]. Journal of Dyfed FHS Vol 7/2 Aug 2000.

Rawlins, José. David Jones, Pastor of Jerusalem, Gwynfe. Dyfed FHS Journal (Dec. 1997)

Trollope, Glynden. Dr John Rees RN, 1808-1878. Dyfed FHS journal vol 8/8 April 2005. A Crimean War connection. "John Rees was raised at Capel Ty Dist near Llangadog - in 1854 he was the Surgeon on board the Flag-ship 'Britannia' in the Black Sea........"

History

Here are a selection of Llangadog related snippets contributed by Anna Brueton. The subjects covered are; Llangadog Vestry Books, The Gwynfe Missionaries, Two Llangadog murders, Manorial Rent Rolls.

Edwards, Hywel Teifi [ed.] Cwm Aman [Amman Valley]. Gomer 1996. In Welsh.  There is a list of chapter headings and photographs on Cwmgors and Gwaun-cae-gurwen

Rees, Enoch. The History of Brynamman 1883 & 1896. (Trans. from the original Welsh by Ivor Griffiths, Gorseinon.) Here is an index for the English version, with contents listing, and an index for the Welsh version, both by Anna Brueton

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Walters, Huw [Dr]. Canu'r Pwll a'r Pulpud. Cyhoeddiadau Barddas, Swansea; 1987, 397 pp. A study of the Welsh culture of the anthracite coalfield before 1914 - particularly Brynaman, and the Aman Valley areas. There are chapters on folk-lore, growth of industry and population, nonconformity, the eisteddfod etc. It brought the author  the Welsh Arts Council Prize for the best work of literary criticism in 1988, the Board of Celtic Studies Prize and the Sir Ellis Jones Ellis-Griffith Prize in 1989. Here is a translation of the Preface by Professor Caerwyn William, list of Contents and brief Introduction.

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Documents at the National Library of Wales:

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks : 18 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.