We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANGELER (LLAN-GELER), a parish, in the union of NEWCASTLE-EMLYN, higher division of the hundred of ELVET, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Newcastle-Emlyn; containing 1747 inhabitants. . . It comprises by computation 6414 acres, of which nearly 2000 are arable, 3480 pasture, 900 waste, and the remainder woodland; the surface is undulated, and the surrounding scenery pleasantly varied, embracing a portion of the fertile and picturesque Vale of Teivy . . . The church, dedicated to St. Celer, is a plain and neat edifice, in good repair . . . an ancient chapel of ease, dedicated to St. Mary, and thence called "Capel Mair," has been entirely demolished. . . There is a place of worship which is jointly appropriated to Independents and Presbyterians: a day school is maintained by the trustees of Mrs. Bevan's charity; and a Sunday school is supported by voluntary contributions, aided by gratuitous teachers. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


Jones, John. Marwnad John Howell: yr hwn a fu farw Medi 1, 1817 yn 30 oed ac a gladdwyd yn Llangeler. Caerfyrddin: Arghraffwyd gan E. Jones, 1817. 8p; 16cm. [Re: John Howell, of Llangeler, 1787-1817.]


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llangeler area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Llangeler Church - on Jeffrey Thomas' site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llangeler Parish Church                         John Griffiths, Vicar
  • Penrhiw     Presbyterian       Erected in 1771       John Thomas, Minister at Llandyssil and supply at the above place of worship
  • Drefach         Calvinistic Baptist       Erected in 1809, rebuilt in 1840       John Lewis, Deacon and Clerk, Llwynbedw, Penboyr
  • Saron   Ind              Erected before 1800      David George, Deacon and Clerk, Parkyotia, Llangelei
  • Clos y Graig    CM           Erected in 1754      David Jones, Daniel Rees, Deacon

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Celer
  • &
  • Capel Mair
  • &
  • St James
  • Incumbent and Curates; D L Daniel (J R George)
  • Rural Deanery of Emlyn
  • Acreage 8,193; Population 1,810

Jones, A.L. Achos y Bedyddwyr Drefach 1793-1993, Drefach Felindre, Bethel (1993) 48 leaves, [1] leaf of plates: p., ill., facsims., ports.

Jones, D. and J. James. Hanes eglwys Annibynnol Saron, Llangeler (Llandysul, 1937), 73p.

Jones-Morris, Trevor. Cyfarfodydd dathlu canmlwyddiant eglwys Annibynnol Seilo, Llangeler, 1889-1989, dydd Sadwrn, Hydref 21ain a dydd Sul, Hydref 22ain, (Llandysul, 1989), 8p.

Rees, J. Derfel. Gwrando'r Gair: hanes eglwys Annibynnol Siloh, Llangeler, a rhai pregethau, (Llandysul, 1945), 70p.

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

PR B (1805-12) recorded in 1831 apparently lost

Parish registers: Christenings (1704-1877, 1900-93), Marriages (1704-1801, 1813-1943, 1945-87) Banns (1795-1833) St James (1904-69) Capel Mair (1906-59) , Burials (1704-1804, 1813-1900) are at the National Library of Wales.

Mf Christenings (1704-1877), Marriages (1704-1921) Burials (1704-1900) at Carm.RO

Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1704-7, 1764-1875) Banns (1795-1833) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674, 1678-9, 1681-3, 1685, 1687, 1689, 1705, 1799, 1801-11, 1813-63, 1865, 1874) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 15 - Elvet Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Bethel (Baptist, 1793), Drefach           SN35463881        Built 1809 & rebuilt/enlarged 1840. Rebuilt/modified 1890     Still open 1998          Coflein    
  • Closygraig (Calvinistic Methodist, c1740), Glynteg, Drefach             SN36303785   Built 1754 & rebuilt/modified 1852 & 1900.   Still open 2000       Coflein                 Still open in 2006  
  • Saron (Independent, c1640): baptisms (1802-34), Saron          NLW Ms 20688              SN37353824      Built 1792 & rebuilt/modified 1825 & 1898    Coflein          Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (March 2009)
  • Bryn Saron Independent Sunday school, Rhos             SN38143528         Built 1887        Coflein
  • Seilo Ind chapel, Rhos, Llangeler                     SN38333529     Built 1889         Still open 1998      Coflein             Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Chapel at Rhos, near Llangeler              SN37943545         Coflein  
  • Penrhiw (Unitarian, 1760), near Drefach         Schedules and notes NLW Ms 4457           SN35593864    Built 1777 & rebuilt/modified 1870. Moved to St Fagans late C20th       Coflein   

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llangeler which are provided by:

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 7999 acres; Population 783 males, 898 females, total 1681

Places, villages, farms etc within Llangeler as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Grange (37); Banc-y-ffordd (village); Blaen-cwm; Blaen-nant-Rhys; Blaen-Siedi; Blaen-tryal; Blaen-y-pant; Brafle; Carn Wen; Clyn-llwyd; Court Fm.; Dan-capel; Garn-wen-isaf; Gilfach-cynnydion; Hafod; Llwyn-ffynnon; Nant Gwyddil; Pen Castell Stone; Pen-pistyll; Pen-rhiw-fawr; Pen-y-waun; Pont Allt-y-cafan; Tan-y-coed; Tryal-brith; Tryal-maen-gwyn; Waun-meirch
  • Gwlad (38); Bwlch-clawdd; Cefn-isaf; Cil-gynydd; Coestre-isaf; Drefach (village); Gilfach-las; Glasbant; Glyn-teg; Hengae; Llangeler (village); Llwyn-pur; Llys-newydd; Mountain Hall; Nant Bargod; Parkswadog; Pen-ffynnon; Pen-lon; Pen-yr-allt Fagod; Pentre cwrt (village); Rhos (village); Rhos Geler; Saron; School

Canrif o Luniau. A Century of Photographs. Plwyf Llangeler Parish.Llangeler Community Council , edited by Alun L. Jones and printed by Gomer Press., June 2000. Here is a review and index by Mary Jane Stephenson

Llangeler - on the Cistercian Way site

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llangeler has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Jones, D.E. Hanes Plwyfi Llangeler a Phenboyr (1899) [History of Llangeler and Pen-Boyr parishes], Llandysul, J.D. Lewis, Gomerian Press (Facsimile reprint - Caerfyrddin: Adran Gwasanaethau Diwylliannol, Cyngor Sir Dyfedt, 1994) (1899) ii,423,xviip,[1] leaf of plates: il, map; 20cm. [ISBN 0860750922] [Here is an Index by Sian Bowi]

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish.

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llysnewydd and Llanllyr Estate records 1724-1876             "The Lewes family was descended from the Lewes family of Abernantbychan, Cardiganshire. John Lewes (1680-1742) of Carmarthen married Hester Beynon of Castell Gorfod and purchased the Llanllyr estate in Cardiganshire and Carmarthenshire in 1720 from Henry Sumner. John and Hestor's son, John Lewes (1711-1783) of Llanllyr married Rebecca Price of Dyffryn, Carmarthenshire. He inherited Llysnewydd in the parish of Llangeler ....................."   
  • Llysnewydd Estate Records     "Deeds relating to the Llysnewydd estate in Carmarthenshire, 1429-1954....................."
  • Jones, E. D. and M. E., collection of Llangeler deeds  1769-1891      "Penpistill farm, Llangeler, Carmarthenshire, was owned by the Evans family in the 18th and 19th centuries........"

Documents at the National Library of Wales:

  • Deeds deposited by E.D. Jones and Mrs M.E. Jones, relating to the parish of Llangeler, Carmarthenshire, 1769-1891.
  • Estate and family records of Lewes of Llysnewydd, parish of Llangeler, and Dyffryn, parish of Llandybie, Carmarthenshire, mainly C16-C20.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN374395 (Lat/Lon: 52.029975, -4.371670), Llangeler which are provided by:

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llangeler Parish Council Records and Llangeler Community Council Records 1947-1996


[Gareth Hicks : 19 Dec 2012]