Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Llangendeirne

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llangendeirne

"LLANGENDEIRN (LLAN-GYNDEYRN), a parish, in the hundred of KIDWELLY, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (S.E.) from Carmarthen, on the road through Llannon to Swansea; containing 2624 inhabitants . . . The lands are, with the exception of a very small portion, inclosed and in a good state of cultivation; and the substratum of the soil consists of various valuable minerals, chiefly, coal, iron, and limestone, the procuring of which affords employment to many of the inhabitants. . . The church, dedicated to St. Cyndeyrn, is a spacious and plain edifice; and the churchyard is one of the finest and most agreeably situated in the country. There are two places of worship for Independents, two for Baptists, and one for Methodists. A school for the gratuitous education of poor children was endowed by Mrs. Catherine Goldfrap, a native of the parish, in 1784 . . . there are 80 boys and girls in the school . . . About 60 children are instructed at another day school, at their parents' cost; and there are eight Sunday schools . . . Formerly there were numerous seats in the parish, within which no fewer than seven magistrates were resident; but they have all been deserted by their proprietors, and most of them converted into farm-houses." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llangendeirne Parish Church           Daniel Jones, P. Curate, Cwmafel
  • Bethel    Babtist          Erected before 1800, re-built in 1810       John Evans, Manager, Alltyfedw
  • Salem   CM         Erected in 1809                      William Davies, Deacon, Llangendeirne village
  • Ebenezer   Ind       Erected in 1830              Daniel Evans, Minister, Nazareth, Nr Llanelly
  • Trallwn    WM       Erected in 1814       William Harries, Chapel Steward, Gwendraeth, Llanelly
  • Caersalem      Ind        Erected in 1816         Jacob Davies, Diacon, [?Tailor]
  • Nazareth, Glyn Hamlet      Ind        Erected in 1803         "Great many of our Congregation come from Llanelly parish. Note; The congregation usual are 300 more or less according to the whether because the whether make a difference in the Country"        Daniel Evans, Minister
  • Soar, Minkau, Hamlet Glyn      Particular Baptist     Erected in 1837.   Also used as  Day School     David Thomas, Deacon, Van

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Cyndeyrn
  • Incumbent and Curates; J Williams
  • Rural Deanery of  Kidwelly
  • Acreage  ---; Population  ---

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

PR (1665-1700) recorded in 1933 apparently lost

Parish registers: Christenings (1735-1858), Marriages (1735-1960) and Burials (1735-1972)), and Facsimiles of Marriages (1963-1971) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Copy ts PR C (1665-1971) M (1671-1970) B (1668-1972) at Carm.RO

Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1671-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1671, 1677-9, 1681-7, 1690, 1692-6, 1700-4, 1707-8, 1711, 1717-21, 1724-43, 1746-7, 1749-51, 1753-67, 1769-94, 1796-1800, 1802-52, 1854-7, 1859-66) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 16 - Kidwelly Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989).

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Bethel (Baptist, c1796), Llangendeirne village                         On Dyfed FHS
  • Soar/Moriah (Baptist, 1828), Meinciau                 SN46131065      Built in 1825, rebuilt/modified 1864/5 & 1886        Still  open 1998        Coflein  
  • Jerusalem Baptist chapel, Pontyates         SN46900854     Built 1908       Coflein  
  • Pisgah Welsh Baptist chapel, Bancffosfelen                   SN48741202    Built 1872, rebuilt/modified 1899.   Still open 1998          Coflein  
  • Seilo Baptist chapel, Carwe                SN46640661     Built 1891(1896?), rebuilt/modified 1906.    Still open 1998     Coflein  
  •  
  • Salem (Calvinistic Methodist, c1795), Four Roads       Births and baptisms (1815-37) PRO RG4/3862, LDS 828108, IGI    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg       SN44810935    Built 1808/9, enlarged 1837/8,renewed 1851   Coflein              Salem Llangyndeyrn CM chapel - still open in 2006 
  • Caersalem (Independent, 1812), Pontyberem             Burials NLW ex 800; records with those of Bethania (Llannon)         SN49971136    Built in 1816, rebuilt in 1837 and 1884   Coflein           Caersalem Ind chapel, Pontyberem shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches),4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - translated by Eleri Rowlands (Oct 2008)
  •  
  • Ebenezer (Independent, c1829), Crwbyn     Deed (1830) and Hanes Eglwys Ebenezer,Crwbyn Carmarthenshire R.O.                 SN47431304    Built 1828/30; rebuilt 1892     Coflein                 Ebeneser Ind chapel, Crwbin shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)
  • Nazareth (Independent, 1787), Pont- iets (within Llangendeirne parish)     SN46500834   Built 1803, rebuilt 1831, rebuilt again 1876          Coflein                 Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)       See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data        
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)
  • Bethel Ind chapel, Carwe                     SN46410654     Built 1891   Coflein            Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  •  
  • Trallwm (Wesleyan Methodist, c1806), Pontyberem  (listed in Rawlins)      Built 1814  Part of Carmarthen circuit        Records with those of Ebenezer (Carmarthen)            Not found on Coflein  or Dyfed FHS

Pontyates/Pont-Iets [formed out of Llangendeirne and Llanelli]
Christenings (1872-1945), Marriages (1858-1970) at Carm.RO

Parish Church photograph and basic information from Dyfed FHS.

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 11810 acres; Population 1140 males, 1283 females, total 2423

Places, villages, farms etc within Llangendeirne  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llangendeirne (77); Aber Lledley; Afon Berem; Allt-y-cadno; Banc-ffos-felen; Blaenau; Bryn-ynyd; Capel-Ifan; Carway; Chapel (near Felindre); Cil-carw; Coed Adam; Coed-Walter; Coed Wgan; Coll.; Cwm-llethryd; Cwrbin; Fan; Felindre; Fforest; Ffrwd; Four Roads; Garn-wen; Gelli-gatrog; Gilfach; Glan-yr-ynys; Glyn Abbey; Greenhall; Gwempa; Gwendraeth Fach; Gwendraeth Fawr; Hengoed; Lan; Lan-cwm; Limestone Hill; Llangendeirne (village); Llwyn-piod; Llwyn-y-filwr; Maen Hir; Maen-sant; Meinciau; Meini Hirion; Mill; Mynydd Llangyndeyrn; Nant Rhydw; Pant-teg; Parc-y-mynydd; Pen-celli; Pen-y-lan; Plas-bach; Pont Antwn; Pont Henry (part); Pont-newydd; Tor-coed; Tor-coed-fawr; Trallwm; Tre-goch; Ty-gwyn; Ysgubor-wen
You can see pictures of Llangendeirne which are provided by:

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llangendeirne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

History

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish.

Rhys, R. Cloi'r clwydi, [Llangyndeyrn], Cymdeithas Les Llangyndeyrn (1994) 72 p., ill., maps, ports.

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Papers relating to the Saunders family of Glanrhydw, Llangendeirne  1741-1925   "John Vaughan sold Glanrhydw, Carmarthenshire, to William Saunders, a successful attorney, in 1732............"

Chief Rents 1664-1676   "Names and Surnames of  the Freeholders that pay Chief Rent yearly within the Parish of Llangendeirne being Maynor Gwnwr and Quarter Trystyrch within the Commot of Kidwellie"  - on the Kidwelly History site

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN457141 (Lat/Lon: 51.804151, -4.239395), Llangendeirne which are provided by:

Occupations

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Carway and Duffryn Steam Coal Co. Ltd Papers 1863   "Rees Emmanuel (fl. 1863) was a collier in the Gwendraeth Valley, Carmarthenshire. Carway and Duffryn Steam Coal Company was located in Llangyndeyrn in the Gwendraeth Valley."

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llangynderyn Parish Council and Community Council Records  1894-1989

 

[Gareth Hicks:  22 Dec 2012]