"LLANGLYDWEN (LLAN-GLEDWYN), a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (N.W.) from St. Clear's; containing 338 inhabitants. This parish . . . is pleasantly situated on the west of the river Tâf; the surrounding scenery is richly diversified, and the adjacent country well wooded; and some parts are in a high state of cultivation. Dôlwylim, is a handsome modernized mansion, romantically situated in a deep vale, though which flows the Tâf, forming here a boundary between the parishes of Llanglydwen, Llanboidy, and Killymaenllwyd . . . The church, dedicated to St. Cledwyn, is a small neat edifice, and was repaired and beautified some years since, at the expense of the family at Dôlwylim. There are a day school, containing thirty to forty children of both sexes, and supported by the trustees of the late Mrs. Bevan; and a Sunday school, in which from ninety to one hundred males and females are taught gratuitously, and furnished with books, &c., by a dissenting congregation." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Glydwen
Parish entry for Cilymaenllwyd with Llanglydwen from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings and Burials (1765-84, 1793-1810), Marriages (1755-1811, 1814-36) are at the National Library of Wales.
Christenings ( 1814-1989), Marriages (1837-1968) , Burials ( 1813-1980) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.
Mf CB (1765-84, 1793-1810) M (1755-1811, 1814-36) at Carm.RO
Copy ts PR CMB (1755-1837) at Carm.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1671-2, 1675, 1678-9, 1681, 1683-4, 1686-7, 1690-1, 1693-9, 1708-11, 1713, 1715-22, 1724-37, 1739-47, 1749, 1752-7, 1759-90, 1793-5, 1797-1800, 1802-6, 1808-22, 1824-37, 1859, 1867-70, 1872-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanglydwen as shown on the parish map on the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Lynne Kleingertner)
Morris, Peter Lloyd. MORRIS of Llanglydwen. Dyfed FHS journal (3/292). The life and family of William Morris, shoemaker and miller of Hebron, in the 19th century
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see below for this parish.
- History of the Church in the County/ Puritan Domination:a Period of Depression;..." After the restoration......Bishop Lucy became bishop of St David's in 1660.............from the replies to this bishop's enquiries...................in 1672........." everything was out of repair at ...... Llanglydwen ............."
- Prehistoric & Roman Times/ Carmarthenshire in the Bronze Age/Early Bronze Age;.. "The perforated axe-hammers found in Carmarthenshire, eleven in number..........(includes)..... Near the Independent Chapel, Llanglydwen parish..."
- Prehistoric & Roman Times/List of Carmarthenshire Hill Forts/Hill Forts with Earthen Ramparts(in fair preservation);.... (list includes)....Castell Garw, Llanglydwen ..."
- The Age of the Native Princes/ The Early Church,The Rise of the Kingdom of Deheubarth; "At least eight Carmarthenshire churches belonged to the Brychan (of Brycheiniog) group..... his sons, Cynog, Clydwen, and Dingad , are commemorated in Llangynog, Llanglydwen, and Llandingad....."
- Castles, Boroughs and Religious Houses/ Religious Houses;..."..the grant of the Priory (St Clears) did not carry with it the knight's fees or advowsons....these the king reserved for his own use, and he continued to appoint vicars to the churches of St Clears and Llanglydwen down to 1361......"
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Held at Carmarthen Archives;
[Gareth Hicks: 30 Oct 2011]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date