We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANLLWYNY (LLAN-LLAWNWY), a parish, in the union of LAMPETER, higher division of the hundred of CATHINOG, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (S.W.) from Lampter; containing 907 inhabitants. . . It is pleasantly situated on the southern bank of the Teivy, by which it is separated from the county of Cardigan, and is intersected by the turnpike-road from Carmarthen to Lampeter; the land is inclosed and in a good state of cultivation, and the soil in most parts fertile; the surrounding scenery is pleasantly diversified, and the distant views extend over a country abounding with picturesque beauty. . . The church is romantically situated on a rocky eminence, commanding a fine view, and overlooking the river Teivy, which flows at its base. There is a place of worship for Independents: a day school, containing about 60 boys and girls, is partly supported by payments from the parents, and partly by the vicar and others; and there are two Sunday schools, of which one is of the Established Church, and the other appertains to the Independents. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


A bound copy of the 1841 census return for this parish is available at Carmarthen Reference Library.It was produced by pupils of Lampeter Comprehensive School as part of the Lampeter and District Census Project 1987.

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llanllwni Parish Church         "...... There is another Church and Parish belonging to the Living, distant between 7 and 8 miles unendowed - Llanfihangel Rhosycorn"           Richard Davies, Vicar


Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Llwni

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Luke
  • Incumbent and Curates; D L Jones
  • Rural Deanery of Lampeter
  • Acreage 6,668 ; Population 653

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

PR M (1755-1812) recorded in 1831 as being in poor condition now apparently lost

Parish registers: Christenings (1739-58, 1787-1923), Marriages (1739-58, 1813-1983) and Burials (1739-58, 1787-1910) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies of most dates at Carm.RO

Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1739-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1671, 1677, 1679, 1681, 1684, 1690-1, 1699, 1710-11, 1717, 1719-22, 1724-8, 1730, 1733-4, 1737, 1739-65, 1770-87, 1789-90, 1792-3, 1795-1800, 1802-17, 1819-38, 1840-59, 1864-7, 1871-2) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 17 - Cathinog Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Capel Noni (Independent, c1810), Maes Noni                   Records with those of Rhydybont (Llanybydder); books (1810-90), annual reports (1901-35), burial book (1908-36) and deeds Carmarthenshire R.O.   On Dyfed FHS                       Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanllwni which are provided by:

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 6624 acres; Population 388 males, 437 females, total 825

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanllwni  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of   Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llanllwni (7); Aber-cwm; Aber-Giar; Afon Gilwydeth; Afon Talog; Afon Teifi; Beili-bedw; Bryn; Bryn-ceirch; Cefn-coed; Clyniau; Clyn Iar; Crug-y-Biswal; Crugiau Edryd; Cwm-du; Cwm-Iar; Ffos-giar; Gelli; Goetre; Gwar-allt; Gwar-cwm; Gwndwn; Llain-las; Llanllwni; Maes; Maes Nonni; Maes-y-crugiau; Mill; Mynydd Llanllwni; Nant Hust; Nant-yr-hendre; Pant-llaithdy; Pen Cil-garn; Pen Llwyn-uchel; Perth-y-berllan; Talardd; Waun-ceiliogau; Waun-gron


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Mansel family papers  1893-1975        "Xerox copies of documents relating to the Mansel family of Maesycrugiau, taken from a scrapbook kept by the depositor, comprising newspaper cuttings,[ c. 1931]-1975, marriage certificates and related material, 1898-1931, and birth certificates, 1893, 1933."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanllwni has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Mansel deeds and documents  "Papers of the Mansel family of Muddlescombe and Maesycrugiau,[Llanllwni] Carmarthenshire, comprising deeds, 1582-1854; legal papers, 1679-1792; estate and personal letters, 1678-1792; and accounts, 1699-1784."


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN473413 (Lat/Lon: 52.048962, -4.228282), Llanllwni which are provided by:

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanllwni Parish Council Records  1894-1971


[Gareth Hicks:  17 Dec 2012]