We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANNON (LLAN-NON), a parish, in the union of LLANELLY, lower division of the hundred of CARNAWLLON, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Carmarthen; containing 1769 inhabitants. . . It extends six miles in length from north to south, and 4 1/2 in breadth from east to west; and comprises by admeasurement, made in the year 1807, 11,466 a. 1 r. 13 p., of which 2507 are in the hamlet of Blaenau, 3011 in that of Glynn, 3130 in that of Goytre, and 2000 in that of Ismorlais . . . The lands, with the exception of a comparatively small portion, consisting of part of the Great Mountain, the Little Mountain, and Mynydd Sylvan, are mostly inclosed, and in a good state of cultivation; the soil is chiefly a clayey loam, and the principal produce, corn, hay, and butter, for the latter of which it is much celebrated; coal mines are in operation, and the smelting of iron-ore by the use of anthracite coal has lately been commenced. . . There is here no manor, the parish being situated within the lordship of Kidwelly. The great turnpike-road fpom Swansea to Carmarthen intersects the parish . . . the tram-road from the works in the Great Mountain is continued through the parish to the port of Llanelly. . . The church, dedicated to St. Non, was rebuilt in 1841 in the early English style . . . A National school-house was erected in 1841; and there are four Sunday schools . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Monumental inscriptions for Bethania Chapel, Upper Tumble, and for Bethesda Chapel, Ponthenry, are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.


An index to the Llannon 1851 census is available for purchase  from CMN FHS


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llannon area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Non's Church, Llannon

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Herald Hermon archive  1993-1994   " Herald Hermon was a religious periodical produced by Hermon Baptist church, Llannon, ............"

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llannon Parish Church                     James Whitworth, Curate
  • Bethania, Glyn Hamlet   Ind          Erected in 1800     Henry Davies, Minister, Near Pontardulais
  • Pentwyn    Welsh CM             Erected in 1824              David Davies, Manager, Llwydcoedfawr, Llannon
  • Llwunteg, Goitre Hamlet    Ind           Erected in 1845           Henry Davies, Minister, Near Pontardulais
  • Hermon     Calvinistic Baptist              Erected in 1850              Daniel Jones, Minister, Llanelly
  • Capel Ifan Church, Llannon District, Llanelly              William Davies 4 August 1852      
    Footnote: "Recently rebuilt by the patron, with provision for the maintenance of a clergyman"

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Non
  • &
  • Dewi Sant, Tumble
  • Incumbent and Curates; P J Harries (W E Jones)
  • Rural Deanery of  Kidwelly
  • Acreage 11,389; Population  5,503

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1679-1738, 1741-1913), Marriages (1679-1738, 1741-1978), Banns (1823-1990) and Burials (1679-1738, 1741-1971) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies [except Banns} at Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1681-4, 1686-7, 1690, 1693, 1695-9, 1703-4, 1716-18, 1720-5, 1727-70, 1772-1800, 1802-35, 1844-5, 1850-2) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 19 - Carnwallon Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

An index to Marriages (1743-1812) is included in the South And West Wales Genealogical Index CD-ROM - details under Genealogy on Carmarthenshire county page.

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Bethel Baptist chapel, Heol-y-Neuadd, Tumble        SN53981209        Built 1890, became the vestry/ Sunday School after the new and present chapel of 1904 was built          Still in use 1998  Coflein                  On Dyfed FHS
  • Hermon (Baptist, bef 1700), Hermon                Records with those of Adulam (Llanelly)              On Dyfed FHS  
  • Tabor Baptist chapel, Carmarthen Rd, Cross Hands  (on border with Llanarthney parish)          SN55841331   Built 1872            Still open 1998    Coflein                   On Dyfed FHS  (under Gorslas)
  • Bethel (Calvinistic Methodist, 1906), Woodlands, Cross Hands           SN56161258   Built 1906    Still open 2000   Coflein              On Dyfed FHS (under Gorslas)                           Y Drindod, Woodlands Terrace, Crosshands CM chapel - still open in 2006   [same place?]
  • Ebenezer Welsh CM chapel, High St, Tumble              SN54061180       Built 1892 & rebuilt/modified 1901/2    Not still open 1998         Coflein  
  • Pentwyn (Calvinistic Methodist, bef 1812),Pentwyn, near Cross Hands           SN561116     School house built 1812 & chapel 1820/1824, enlarged 1841/1849 & rebuilt 1903.      Still open 2000 Coflein                   See also  Capeli (2005 list of chapels under threat)
  • Dewi Sant CM chapel, High St, Tumble             SN54101199            Built pre-1907        Coflein  
  • Bethania (Independent, bef 1800), Tumble               Register (c1800-54) NLW Ms 875, LDS 104506/1; register (1847-1926) NLW Ms 876, LDS 104506/2, IGI; deeds, minute books and Hanes Bethania , with secretary                 On Dyfed FHS                  Bethania Ind chapel, Upper Tymbl shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches),4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - translated by Eleri Rowlands (Oct 2008)
  • Llwynteg (Independent, bef 1846), Llwyn-teg           Records with those of Bethania                SN55140811       Built 1845/6 & rebuilt 1899 & 1907    Coflein            Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
     Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches),4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - translated by Eleri Rowlands (Oct 2008)
  • Bethesda Ind chapel / Sunday school, Bethesda Rd, Tymbl            SN53621200   Built in 1888 and probably c 1905 converted to a schoolroom      Still open as Sunday school 1998        Coflein  
  • Bethesda Ind chapel, Bethesda Rd, Tumble          SN53771214       Built in 1905        Coflein                Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Libanus Ind, Cwmgwili           SN57311040                   Built 1880 & rebuilt 1912         Still open 1998       Coflein                      On Dyfed FHS (under Llandybie)
  • Bryn Seion Welsh Ind chapel (Mission Hall), Heol Bryngwili, Cross Hands               SN55551227    Built in 1907     Still open 1998   Coflein  
  • Shiloh Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Tumble         SN50131096        Coflein   
  • Elim Pentecostal church, Heol-y-bryn, Tumble                 SN54431150    Built ? 1910  Still open 2000       Coflein                 On Dyfed FHS
  • Cross Hands Pentecostal, Gospel Hall, Cross Hands              SN56341278     Still open 1999     Coflein
  • Carmel Apostolic church, Railway Place, Tumble              SN53961199   Built in the later 20th c    Still open 2000            Coflein  
  • Llain-y-Delyn Friends Meeting House, Tyisha Rd, Tumble             SN53911167   Early C20th ?        Not still open 1998               Coflein  

Tumble/Y Tymbl [formed out of Llannon]
Christenings (1932-69), Marriages (1927-79) at NLW with Mf copies at Carm.RO

Parish Church photograph and basic information from Dyfed FHS.

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llannon which are provided by:

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 11446 acres; Population 851 males, 845 females, total 1696

Places, villages, farms etc within Llannon as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Cherlyn Bruns)

  • Llannon (84 ); Afon Gwili, Afon Morlais, Blaen-hiraeth, Blaenau, Bryn, Bryn-du, Bryn-maen, Bryn-gwenyn, Cefn-y-bryn, Cil-Ddewi-uchaf, Cil-Ddewi-fawr, Coed-cyw, Colliery, Coll., Cross Hands, Cwm Howell, Cwm-Mawr Sta., Dyrclawdd, Ffynnon Josi, Garn-fach, Gelli-doc, Gelli-wen, Gelli-wernen, Gellir-odyn, Goitre, Goitre-wen, Gors, Gwendraeth Fawr, Hosp., Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway, Llannon, Lletty, Llwydcoed, Llwyn-teg, Marchogllwyn, Nant-glas, Pant-yr-yn, Pont Morlais, PONTYBEREM, Pontyberem Sta., Res., Rhyd-sarnau, Tre-neddyn, Tumble, Ty'r-bryn, Ty-gwyn, Ty-isaf, Ty'n-y-waun, Vicarage, Ystlys-y-coed-isaf


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Goring-Thomas family, papers  C19th     "The family, originally called Treherne, lived at Llettymawr, Llannon, Carmarthenshire ............................."

Held at Carmarthen Archives;

  • An index to David/Davies names extracted from the Llanelli and Llannon parish registers 1679-1838 and from the St David's diocesan wills 1627-1853.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llannon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Anthony, Glyn . Coal Dust and Dogma. 1987 (Alun Books, Port Talbot) 112pp, tells the story of controversy caused by the ideas of Rev. Tom Nefyn Williams of Tumble. There is a description on  Gareth's Help Page

Gibbard, Noel. A History of Llannon Parish, Old Carmarthenshire. J D Lewis and Sons, Gomer Press, Llandysul (1984). (Trans. from the original Welsh by Ivor Griffiths, Gorseinon. Here is an index by P M S Jones with a contents listing).

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Stepney of Llanelli additional collection         Includes;  "Rent books relating to property in Llannon, Llandybie, and Llanedi, Carmarthenshire, 1909-1953............."


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN539084 (Lat/Lon: 51.755141, -4.118152), Llannon which are provided by:


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  •  Tumble Collieries  1891-1927  "Deeds including leases of mines under lands in parishes of Llannon and Llanelli, Carmarthenshire,together with attached maps and plans 1891-1901; correspondence 1892 and 1911; poster giving notice of proposed amalgamation of colliery companies with United Anthracite Collieries Limited 1927."  
  • Tumble Welfare Association and Great Mountain Colliery Site Liaison Committee  1959 - 1992    "Tumble is situated on the Western edge of the Coalfield, near Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire.
    The Tumble Welfare Association was set up in the early 1920s, and was based in the Public Hall and Workman's Institute at Tumble................................."


Thomas, G.J. Ysgol Llannon =Llannon School: canrif o addysg, a mwy = a century and more of education, Llannon [Ceredigion, Dyfed], Pwyllgor Dathlu Ysgol Llannon (1978) viii, 108 p., ill., ports. [ISBN: 0850886406 (pbk)]

[Gareth Hicks:  23 Dec 2012]