We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANPYMPSAINT (LLAN-Y-PUM-SAINT), a parish, in the hundred of ELVET, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (N.) from Carmarthen; containing 525 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which signifies the church of the five saints, is traversed on the east by the turnpike road leading from Carmarthen to Lampeter, and is intersected by the small river Guilly . . . It was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Aberguilly; from which it was separated by act of parliament; and comprises a large tract of land, by far the greater part inclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is pleasantly diversified, but not distinguished by any peculiarity of features; and the views of the adjacent country are interesting and extensive. . . About 30 children of both sexes are instructed in a day school at the expense of their parents; and there are three Sunday schools, one belonging to the Established Church, and the others respectively to Baptists and Methodists, and in which more than 200 males and females are taught gratuitously, and supplied with books from a fund raised by voluntary contributions. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Church History

LLANPUMPSAINT, St. Celynin  1880-1882    - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llanpumpsaint Parish Church          "Llanpumpsaint Church is a Small Church of a S eperate parish"     "The Above Parish Church has been Consecrated from time immemorial. "             William Henry Powell, Perpetual Curate
  • Horeb, Rhydargau (?)      Calvinistic Baptists           Erected in 1783     Henry Evans, Tresurer
  • Lanpumsant Chapel    CM      Erected 'last building 1827'     Thomas Lloyd, Deacon


Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan y Pum Sainct

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • Five Saints
  • &
  • Celynin Mission Church
  • Incumbent and Curates; J Jones
  • Rural Deanery of  Carmarthen
  • Acreage 6,634 ; Population 686

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1775-1896), Marriages (1755-1971), Banns (1823-1953) and Burials (1775-1866) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Copy ts PR index Christenings and Burials (1813-75) and Marriages (1695-1875) are at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1675, 1677-9, 1681-2, 1685-7, 1690, 1693, 1695-7, 1699, 1702, 1707-8, ?1711-12, 1715-22, 1724-41, 1750-1, 1754-5, 1757, 1759, 1763, 1765-7, 1787-91, 1793-1800, 1802-82, 1884-5, 1887) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1695-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 15 - Elvet Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Horeb (Baptist, 1782), Rhydargaeau           See under Llanllawddog
  • Caersalem Baptist chapel, Llanpumsaint                 SN41592942     Built 1904    Still open 1998    Coflein                         On Dyfed FHS
  • Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist, 1742), Llanpumsaint village            Births and baptisms (1810-37) PRO RG4/3830, LDS 828113; accounts (1825-32) NLW CM 37                  SN41882911    Bethel CM chapel, Llanpumsaint    Built 1796; rebuilt/modified 1827, 1867 & 1873    Coflein                        Bethel Llanpumpsaint CM chapel - still open in 2006
  • Nebo (Independent, 1832), Ystumgwili, Penyrheol            See Pencader, Bwlchnewydd and Pantteg          SN41222708    Built 1840 & rebuilt 1896   Coflein         Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanpumsaint which are provided by:

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 4079 acres; Population 268 males, 252 females, total 520

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanpumsaint as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llanpumsaint (35); Allt-garedig; Bryn-biettyn; Bryn-cenau; Carmarthen, Lampeter & Aberystwyth Rlwy.; Dan-y-cerig; Deri-mysg; Esgair; Ffynnon-newydd; Glan-Corwg; Glan-neuadd; Gwastad; Llanpumsaint (village); Llwyn-calenig; Mill(2); Nant Aeron; Nant Brechfa; Pen-hill; Pentre-mawr

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanpumsaint has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN418290 (Lat/Lon: 51.936920, -4.302742), Llanpumsaint which are provided by:

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanpumsaint Parish Council Records  1910-1968


[Gareth Hicks :  19 Dec 2012]